No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Lands Big Scalability Improvement, Disables Debug Option By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Lands Big Scalability Improvement, Disables Debug Option By Default

Phoronix: Bcachefs Lands Big Scalability Improvement, Disables Debug Option By Default

Following last week's merging of the Bcachefs file-system into Linux 6.7, a secondary set of updates were merged today for adding a few new features as well as some fixes for this newly-merged Linux file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope Bcachefs becomes good enough to make people stop caring for a certain out-of-tree fs.
    Last edited by evasb; 07 November 2023, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I hope Bcachefs soon has the best of all CoW and non-CoW filesystems. Reliability, performance, features...
      Last edited by timofonic; 07 November 2023, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Typo:

endianess fixes
        Endianness... or would it be "endia"?

Comment

Good job Kent! Ever since I watched his about hour long video explaining Bcachfs, even though a lot over my head, I have wanted to see it mainlined and given a chance. Although somewhat of a filesystem layperson, really seemed like he put a lot of thought into things and I really like how he explained how the various pieces fit together.

Comment

Typo:
            be a bitm ore than a "small amount"
            be a bit more ?

Comment

I am quite biased towards BTRFS , but welcome bcachefs and like many of the ideas.
              What I just did was check the bcachefs.org website trying to find out what is actually implemented and what is not. I did notice that basic features such as scrub does not exist yet (that can probably be worked around by reading all files or something similar I guess), but it was actually very hard to find a list of implemented features and planned features. Yes, there is a wish list and a roadmap , but nothing "decent".

I was hoping to compile a little table of implemented vs missing features between btrfs and bcachefs, but it was hard to find anything like the btrfs' status page ( https://btrfs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Status.html ) for bcachefs.

I assume that (especially) those of you that claims that bcachefs is so much better than btrfs already know what you are talking about... well at least one or two of you should, so please give us a list of the features that ARE implemented (and somewhat usable) on bcachefs, and please use the btrfs status page as a template. I am genuinely interested in learning about it and I am sure others are too.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Scrub, send/receive, raid5/6 are the main missing features AFAIK.

But it has a budget of 160k LOC to implement them.

Comment

bcachefs seems to support compression, but how about encryption like ext4 via fscrypt interface?
                  Last edited by oleid; 08 November 2023, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    bcachefs seems to support compression, but how about encryption like ext4?

bcachefs uses AEAD style encryption (ChaCha20/Poly1305), where each encrypted block is authenticated with a MAC, with a chain of trust up to root (the superblock), and every encrypted block has a unique nonce.

This protects against attacks that block level encryption (i.e. LUKS) cannot defend against, because at the block level there's nowhere to store MACs or nonces without causing painful alignment problems.
                    We do not currently offer per directory encryption; instead, we take an "encrypt everything" approach.

Comment

Working...
                    X