No announcement yet.

systemd 255-rc1 Brings "Blue Screen of Death" Support & New Tool To Spawn VMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, please tell me this is a joke. Getting kernel panics and significant messages on the screen is important, but it doesn't have to be done the Windows way.

Oh, on boot failures only....... You know what would be nice?
    Having kernel panic messages override whatever is on the screen (e.g. a graphical session).
    Last edited by tildearrow; 06 November 2023, 03:31 PM.

Comment

the anti BSoD: "fuck off" 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
        Would be cool if it could be customized per-distro. E.g. on Ubuntu use a purple background and link to Ubuntu-specific help pages rather than the generic FreeDesktop.org ones. Fedora would be blue, Mint use their Mint color, etc.
        That is actually pretty bad for consistency. I personally dislike the BLUE screen because it (as I understand it) mostly because it mimics Windows, and quite frankly Linux does NOT go down easy despite being a monolithic kernel. I feel the kernel panic (which I have seen only once) is fine - the blinking caps lock is brilliant and that's how we should keep it.

But personal feelings aside A blue screen with white foreground color is actually pretty good for grabbing attention and it lights up the office space quite well. It also does not require anything running (timers are complicated) to blink an alert screen (like in my favorite crash screen - the Amiga Guru meditation).

That being said I think that our penguin powered hardware should have a MONOCROME crash screen. Black + white and nothing more (even WOKE people should accept this one).

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

But what kind of blue?

Admiral blue, Aegean blue, agate blue, Arctic blue, azure, baby blue, berry blue, blue-jay blue, blue-jeans blue, bluebell blue, blueberry blue, blueberry-juice blue, bluebird blue, blue-jay blue, brook blue, bruise blue, cadet blue, cerulean, china-blue, cobalt, cornflower blue, crystal blue, denim blue, electric blue, forget-me-not blue, galaxy blue, gunmetal blue, ice blue, indigo, ink blue, jellyfish blue, lagoon blue, lake blue, lapis blue, laser blue, lilac blue, lobelia blue, mold blue, moon blue, navy, ocean blue, quasar blue, river blue, robin-egg blue, sapphire blue, sky blue, star blue, steel-blue, swimming-pool blue, teal, toilet-water blue, toothpaste blue, ultramarine?

Comment

Originally posted by domih View Post
            But what kind of blue?

Admiral blue, Aegean blue, agate blue, Arctic blue, azure, baby blue, berry blue, blue-jay blue, blue-jeans blue, bluebell blue, blueberry blue, blueberry-juice blue, bluebird blue, blue-jay blue, brook blue, bruise blue, cadet blue, cerulean, china-blue, cobalt, cornflower blue, crystal blue, denim blue, electric blue, forget-me-not blue, galaxy blue, gunmetal blue, ice blue, indigo, ink blue, jellyfish blue, lagoon blue, lake blue, lapis blue, laser blue, lilac blue, lobelia blue, mold blue, moon blue, navy, ocean blue, quasar blue, river blue, robin-egg blue, sapphire blue, sky blue, star blue, steel-blue, swimming-pool blue, teal, toilet-water blue, toothpaste blue, ultramarine?
            You forgot Tiffany blue and 3 different shades of Air Force blue. There are 4 shades of baby blue and 5 shades of Sapphire blue. You missed Carolina blue, Turkish blue, Maya blue, Independence blue, Azure blue, Egyptian blue, Yale blue, Prussian blue, and 3 shades of Royal blue. How could you miss Royal blue?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
              The name's a bit disingenuous. A "bluescreen" is supposed to display diagnostic information for an unrecoverable kernel panic, while this just seems to print out system logs specifically on boot failure. It's not really the same thing at all.
              Can you fix a red screen of death on Windows 11/10/8/7? Yes, you can fix the red screen of death error in Windows 10 with 11 effective solutions. Before the solutions, it's better to run EaseUS data recovery software to export data to another location.

In fact for newer versions of windows a kernel issue is a red screen of death. Blue screen of death in older windows is for two different problems being user-space issue and kernel issue. Newer versions of windows blue screen of death is only for user-space issues. So by Microsoft use of term in new versions of windows it correct for the systemd to have a blue screen of death. The straight up Linux kernel panic lines up with red screen of death.

Comment

Originally posted by domih View Post
                But what kind of blue?

​I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa
                Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa
                Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa

Comment

Originally posted by ridge View Post
                  Aw cmon red is cooler
                  I always like the "Guru meditation Error" screen used by Amiga computers. Translating the error number into an actual cause could be a pain but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                    just call it something else.
                    Linux does not need the marketing from the microsoft failures…
                    ^ ^ this ^ ^

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                      But … I want an orange screen of death!
                      I want mine to be cyan. Linux-is-all-about-choice(tm) !

Comment

Working...
                      X