Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.7 Networking Adds New Hardware Support, A ~20% Perf Boost For Single TCP Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Changing the terms we use in computer lingo is not erasing words nor does "they have meaning" any relevance because so does conduit/user, and any other word for that matter. Defending the use of master/slave in computer lingo must be the dumbest hill to die on, seriously.

This is nothing more than enterprises not wanting to be near anything that could be deemed controversial with a ten-foot pole (like e.g GIMP), this is how the corporate world have been since inception and for good reason as well, I mean just look e.g at how some groups of people wants to cancel whole beer brands due to them believing that those brand have any other political leaning than "give us your money in exchange for this beer" after seeing some silly commercial.

And they are not being removed from the history books.
    these words are not controversial at all. it's just a moral panic. calling out this silliness isn't defending any particular word or dying on a hill. it's defending language from being controlled by joyless activists and stating that banning computer terms will not in anyway address an ill-defined societal issue. There's no end to words that they will come after, just to prove they can ban them.

There was a good write up about this asymmetrical battle called "The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority".

Comment

We must get reparations for all those conduits keeping users picking cotton in inhumane conditions!

Comment

If the developers who actually write and maintain the code want to change it and, everyone still understands the new words meaning. Then for me, this really is of minor importance, especially considering everything else going on in the world at the moment.

Now if they wanted to change Tux's name or species, then war SHALL be declared.

Comment

Been wondering recently about a setup that sometimes buckles under incoming network traffic, to be written to disk, where the disk metrics will report sudden huge spikes in write time, causing zero windows and network traffic to be almost cut off for a minute or more.

Isn't zero-window supposed to gracefully handle this stuff? Just tell the sender to wait a bit?

Ah, but what if the sender is also a receiver, who's running out of cache/space...

Are there any good texts out there that tackle this subject?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
            Defending the use of master/slave in computer lingo must be the dumbest hill to die on, seriously.
            This isn't about that at all, whether it's intentional on your part or not, that's a strawman argument. Whether master/slave or blacklist/whitelist, they have both clear technical definition for obvious technical reason. Any other interpretation of the terms is being intentionally maliciously misconstrued in a topic that has nothing to do with the sociopolitical issues. If anybody sees these terms and thinks of those things, that's their problem, they're the ones making the connection, and forcing guilt onto developers and code authors for their own twisted fantasy—essentially attributing words to their mouth when there was no opinions expressed at all.

Now for things like new default Git branch names, fine change the terms, it doesn't matter either way what term is being used as long as the meaning is being communicated clear and concise manner. But to go retroactively waste time to go look through old code for matters of zero consequence? That's just dumb, And it's the result of not only intentionally seeing and assuming the worst in someone and their work, but to force everybody's worldview around their's.

Forcing their twisted perspective on others is why I am against the letter people movement. That they exist don't bother me, I don't care and indifferent. But as soon as they force things in my face, I will personally go out of my way to be contrarian on principle. Just as I go out of my way to install Linux and other open source projects so as to control of the hardware and remove as many DRM restriction as humanely possible—if only to spite the giant corporations regardless of inconvenience—I'll also intentionally keep using the "forbidden" terminology for the confrontational and aggravating ways these agendas are being pushed. Since they're needlessly picking a fight and pushing others to take sides (à la​ "if you're not with us, you're against us"), I will take clear side with clear conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post

Maybe not in the US 😞
              So where?

Comment

Originally posted by Finity View Post

This isn't about that at all, whether it's intentional on your part or not, that's a strawman argument. Whether master/slave or blacklist/whitelist, they have both clear technical definition for obvious technical reason. Any other interpretation of the terms is being intentionally maliciously misconstrued in a topic that has nothing to do with the sociopolitical issues. If anybody sees these terms and thinks of those things, that's their problem, they're the ones making the connection, and forcing guilt onto developers and code authors for their own twisted fantasy—essentially attributing words to their mouth when there was no opinions expressed at all.

Now for things like new default Git branch names, fine change the terms, it doesn't matter either way what term is being used as long as the meaning is being communicated clear and concise manner. But to go retroactively waste time to go look through old code for matters of zero consequence? That's just dumb, And it's the result of not only intentionally seeing and assuming the worst in someone and their work, but to force everybody's worldview around their's.

Forcing their twisted perspective on others is why I am against the letter people movement. That they exist don't bother me, I don't care and indifferent. But as soon as they force things in my face, I will personally go out of my way to be contrarian on principle. Just as I go out of my way to install Linux and other open source projects so as to control of the hardware and remove as many DRM restriction as humanely possible—if only to spite the giant corporations regardless of inconvenience—I'll also intentionally keep using the "forbidden" terminology for the confrontational and aggravating ways these agendas are being pushed. Since they're needlessly picking a fight and pushing others to take sides (à la​ "if you're not with us, you're against us"), I will take clear side with clear conscience.
                It was a reply to "Let's erase master and slave words from history book, since both are offensive" so no this is not a straw man but a direct reply to a specific statement.

Comment

Typo: "Support for user resolution of TCP timestamps" should be "Support for usec resolution of TCP timestamps"

i.e. TCP timestamps can now optionally use microsecond resolution, rather than the traditional millisecond resolution. Apparently RFC 1323, which introduced TCP timestamps, supports more or less arbitrary timestamps as long as they increase monotonically. Who knew? RFC 1323 does limit the resolution to a minimum of 59 ns though, to avoid 32-bit wraparounds during the worst-case MSL (maximum segment lifetime) of 255 seconds. Such wraparounds would break PAWS (ouch, Protection Against Wrapped Sequence( number)s).

Comment

Apparently people aren't allowed to have normal beliefs and opinions about software development here. Censoring us everywhere on the internet doesn't magically change our minds or make us disappear from existence, it just makes us angrier and strengthens are beliefs....

Comment

Working...
                    X