JFS File-System Seeing Minor Stability Improvements With Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFS File-System Seeing Minor Stability Improvements With Linux 6.7

Phoronix: JFS File-System Seeing Minor Stability Improvements With Linux 6.7

Bcachefs was merged for Linux 6.7 and Btrfs is seeing some shiny new features with this next kernel version. But Linux 6.7 isn't just about leading-edge file-system fun: the three decade old IBM Journaled File-System (JFS) is even seeing some minor changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMHO, old reiserfs was more stable and better maintained. I'm a bit shocked by this JFS revelation. Somewhat confused. I'm certainly not advocating for the use of reiserfs, but I'd recommend it over JFS. Who ever used JFS? I mean, really. (just curious)

Comment

a couple array index out-of-bounds fixes for a 30 year old filesystem seems like the implementation must have been absolute trash.

It's the kind of problems i expect to see with bcachefs in the 6.8 development window.
      Last edited by varikonniemi; 01 November 2023, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
        IMHO, old reiserfs was more stable and better maintained. I'm a bit shocked by this JFS revelation. Somewhat confused. I'm certainly not advocating for the use of reiserfs, but I'd recommend it over JFS. Who ever used JFS? I mean, really. (just curious)
        Hm, maybe me, many many years ago, for a disk that only contained downloaded movies. Back than I was under the impression that JFS served movies faster, but I've moved it to XFS also many years ago. Checksums are not really needed for that kind of data; my important stuff is guarded by ZFS. Ext4 for my desktop needs. But JFS did have some advantage back then in some benchmarks, if my memory doesn't play jokes on me.

Comment

Afaik JFS still uses the least cpu so it's good for any low power situations where journaling fs is needed. My last usage was an old pc repurposed as a fw/nat box in the attic, about a decade ago.

Comment

JFS is native filesystem for AIX, so ability to access from Linux on Power might prove useful.

Comment

Originally posted by AlDunsmuir View Post
              JFS is native filesystem for AIX, so ability to access from Linux on Power might prove useful.
              If I recall correctly that is JFS2. So incompatible.

Comment

I echo what above users have said, JFS is the lowest memory and lowest CPU usage of any modern FS in Linux. I use it on any "backup system" I am in charge of. Still keep a few P4 and P3 32bit systems running Gentoo around for hobby reasons and just to keep old systems around for a rainy day.

Comment

Yes, also used jfs back in the day in my laptop because if it's low CPU usage. Never had any troubles.

Comment

Also, this needs to be said ... it was phoronix benchmarks back in the day that showed low cpu usage of jfs and convinced me to pick it up

Comment

Working...
                    X