Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Merged Into The Linux 6.7 Kernel

Phoronix: Bcachefs Merged Into The Linux 6.7 Kernel

Less than twenty-four hours after Bcachefs was submitted for Linux 6.7, this new open-source file-system has been successfully merged for this next kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am optimistic about it.

As it can't realistically be worse than btrfs.

Comment

This is great to see. Hopefully it gets a lot of contributors and in the future is a competitor to ZFS!

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Apart from having a bus factor of 1 and having no major deployment and testing in production, btrfs doesn't have either of these issues.

Comment

Excellent news, can’t wait for the first distro to pick it up!

Comment

I wish benchmark after 200 time: snapshot created, FS large change, snapshot delete, and same without delete, ZFS/BTRFS slow lot of after this. And it's what Bcachefs try solve
            Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

I'm screenshotting the bcachefs homepage stating "The COW filesystem for Linux that won't eat your data" ready to post it here as soon as someone start to actually use it in production and got its data eaten.

I have nothing against this filesystem, I just cannot tolerate such arrogance from its author.

Comment

I’m very happy to see that Bcachefs has been merged into the mainline kernel. This is a huge achievement for Kent and the Bcachefs community. I have some questions about how Bcachefs performs and how it will be developed in the future. I hope Kent gets more funding and hires some developers to help him with this project. Maybe he could work with some of the independent developers or open source companies that have expertise in the Linux kernel,.

Comment

Finally! This is truly great, waiting for the benchmarks now.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

The default assumption is that it's going to "suck" and fail once people actually start using it.

Comment

Working...
                    X