Linux 6.6 Released With EEVDF, Shadow Stack & Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 Released With EEVDF, Shadow Stack & Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Released With EEVDF, Shadow Stack & Performance Optimizations

As anticipated Linus Torvalds just released the Linux 6.6 kernel as stable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The kernel newbies have already prepared the changelog, whoa:

Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux kernel during the 6.6 development cycle

Comment

Performance improvements gives me butterflies

Comment

Waiting for 6.6.6 release.

Comment

New kernel releases give me less reasons each time to build my custom one. And that's great.

Comment

After having tons of trouble with 6.5, 6.6 went much much smoother. Still, I saw a problem with my swap partition which caused shutdown/reboot problems, somehow the memory cannot get released any longer. Disabling the swap partition worked around it.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              New kernel releases give me less reasons each time to build my custom one. And that's great.
              Out of curiosity, what patches do you have applied to your custom kernel at the moment?

In my case the only one I have left is for enabling the hp-wmi kernel driver for my Omen laptop, but I'm fairly certain that has no chance at making it upstream as it is given that it only partially works (in particular for my laptop it allows the GPU to not get limited to 35W eventually instead of a more normal 75-120W range, but the fan curve is still extremely slow to respond to changes in load or temperature). I also used to have patches to fix the built in microphone as well as to disable the fTPM so it doesn't make the whole system stutter every now and then, but fortunately both are upstream now.

Comment

6.6.0 running just fine with Ubuntu 23.10, just as I was expecting. And, QT-based xconfig is working great. I will explore the configuration options a bit more later. There is a an interesting new config option (CONFIG_SWIOTLB_DYNAMIC)​ that I enabled and want to understand better.

Comment

I just noticed all the 6.6 AMD pstate work from Michael's other article. I'm so excited for that.

On my Intel laptops, I usually disable turbo boost on battery to try to get better perf/watt off the wall. Looks like AMD can finally do that as well on pstate. Also there seems to be some sort of new energy bias preference that Intel and AMD can use. I'm definitely giving these a test drive.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Lts 666? 😈

Comment

Working...
                    X