Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Great Features With The Upcoming Linux 6.6 Kernel

Phoronix: Six Great Features With The Upcoming Linux 6.6 Kernel

Tomorrow the Linux 6.6 kernel is expected to be released as stable unless Linus Torvalds has last minute reservations and decides to extend the cycle by an extra week. While there were many last minute fixes this week, the changes don't appear to be too scary or invasive. In any event the Linux 6.6 kernel is bringing some exciting features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how good is the new scheduler?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Bottom of the article, benchmarks are coming. I'm curious too. I've enjoyed the advantages of cachy/cacULE/BORE scheduler (though they really have to stop remaining it every time it gets a new feature or knob), so it will be interesting to to see how well CFS's new mainline replacement fares.

Comment

Chances are you won't notice it, because the bad scheduler of Linux is the I/O one, and that hasn't changed.

Comment

It's about on par with BFS/MuQSS from -ck (crazy good), not surprising since they're all based on the same algorithm.

Comment

I've been using 6.6 for a couple of days and can't say I see visible differences on my old Thinkpad T480s (mostly used for programming and web browsing, so nothing where you notice much latency)

However I noticed that the fan start less often.

Comment

I hope the new scheduler fixes this annoying parallel compilation corner case I'm hitting. Now that I said that, I probably jinxed it and it only gets worse!

I have had no other issues, but I'm also interested to see if it makes my system more responsive when I compile this one (other) project with -j$(nproc).

Comment

Working...
              X