Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6-rc7 Released: Linux 6.6 Final Likely Next Sunday

Phoronix: Linux 6.6-rc7 Released: Linux 6.6 Final Likely Next Sunday

Linus Torvalds today released the seventh weekly release candidate of Linux 6.6 while is hoping to release the stable kernel version next weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know 6.6 will probably be the LTS kernel for 2023, but would be so much better if 6.7 was with Meteor lake graphics just going stable in 6.7. Saying this just because the LTS release will probably be picked for the next K,X,L,U buntu release this coming spring and in turn Linux mint for their next big release. The flavors of Ubuntu and Linux Mint represent the beginner friendly distros- people who probably don't know how to install a new kernel or about force probe.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      I know 6.6 will probably be the LTS kernel for 2023, but would be so much better if 6.7 was with Meteor lake graphics just going stable in 6.7. Saying this just because the LTS release will probably be picked for the next K,X,L,U buntu release this coming spring and in turn Linux mint for their next big release. The flavors of Ubuntu and Linux Mint represent the beginner friendly distros- people who probably don't know how to install a new kernel or about force probe.
      Why does everyone think 6.6 is going to be LTS? Going by previous releases, it makes me think that 6.7 is going to be LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post

Why does everyone think 6.6 is going to be LTS? Going by previous releases, it makes me think that 6.7 is going to be LTS.
        Because it's usually the last release of the year that is LTS. While 6.7 could be released on new years eve, it's likely that it will be pushed to January 7.
        Last edited by dlq84; 23 October 2023, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Because it's usually the last release of the year that is LTS. While 6.7 could be released on new years eve, it's likely that it will be pushed to January 7.
          It's not always one or the other looking at even earlier releases.

Comment

Hopefully running 6.6.0 next week then. I think I will keep using user space smbd but trying Intel cluster scheduling will be interesting.

Comment

I've been running rc4 for a while now and it's going to be an amazing release. The new scheduler is incredible. New era for Linux.

Comment

Working...
              X