Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold 2.3 Linker Allows Removing Superfluous ENDBR64 Instructions

Phoronix: Mold 2.3 Linker Allows Removing Superfluous ENDBR64 Instructions

Mold 2.3 was released today by Rui Ueyama as the newest version of this high-speed linker alternative to LLVM LLD and GNU Gold...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The day Mold can compile Wine is the day I will try out the Open source Windows (compiling it myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      The day Mold can compile Wine is the day I will try out the Open source Windows (compiling it myself).
      You'll have to wait a while, given that it's a linker and not a compiler

Comment

one unfortunate thing about mold is that it seems to break sccache for me when compile rust projects which is kinda sad

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          one unfortunate thing about mold is that it seems to break sccache for me when compile rust projects which is kinda sad
          That seems quite unlikely. Sccache only caches the actual compilation, and mold is not involved in that as a linker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

In the new release, it was said that the attempt to monetise mold didn't work, and thus, sold should stop. Does this mean #190 can be reopened?

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

That seems quite unlikely. Sccache only caches the actual compilation, and mold is not involved in that as a linker.
              unlikely or not it's something I was able to replicate fairly easily

EDIT: forgot to mention im seemlingly not the only person with this issue https://github.com/mozilla/sccache/issues/1755
              Last edited by Quackdoc; 18 October 2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

unlikely or not it's something I was able to replicate fairly easily

EDIT: forgot to mention im seemlingly not the only person with this issue https://github.com/mozilla/sccache/issues/1755
                It seems that somehow cache misses occured when they should not. A good next step would be to figure out what inputs sccache considered changed.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

It seems that somehow cache misses occured when they should not. A good next step would be to figure out what inputs sccache considered changed.
                  yeah I plan on looking at it... one day, at least

Comment

I don't think it's the job of the linker to be fucking with the opcodes produced by the compiler (other than massaging location opcodes), that seems totally out of scope

Comment

Working...
                    X