Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Patches Allow Changing Hibernation Compression Format For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure single core performance is the right metric to look at when even cheap phone SoCs come with 8 cores now. Unless there is some limitation that prevents multi core compression.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
      Not sure single core performance is the right metric to look at when even cheap phone SoCs come with 8 cores now. Unless there is some limitation that prevents multi core compression.
      It's about decompression and the in Kernel LZ4 is only single threaded (as is zstd).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It varies by distribution and how you install it. You either get what you get with the OS's installation tools or can do a lot more exotic setups from a Live environment by doing everything manually.

Based on the link you posted, I'm assuming Ubuntu XX.YY. I'm also assuming that since you're asking these questions that it'd probably be a lot easier for you to backup your $HOME data, get a list of anything you've installed (Snaps and Apt), and then reinstall the OS with Ubuntu's built-in stuff. Worst case scenario, buy an external HDD from Wal-Mart (or your country's equivalent) and return it once you've backed up and restored your data because it's a "crappy" drive that "doesn't work". Those are questions you should query on the Ubuntu forums for better answers from people that use Ubuntu and know its tricks.

Speaking of returning products, I'm returning a circular saw to Lowe's today. Damn thing wouldn't cut a standard 2x4. Anything over 1" thick would jam it up. That's not a joke.

Do not buy the $80 20V Craftsman circular saw. It's actual junk. They shouldn't be allowed to make tools that shitty.
        Many stores don’t accept hard drive returns and only offer replacements. Either way, it’s kind of scummy to buy a product with the intention of returning it.

The rest of your advice is good, though.

Comment

phoronix Phoronix is kinda flaky

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Many stores don’t accept hard drive returns and only offer replacements. Either way, it’s kind of scummy to buy a product with the intention of returning it.

The rest of your advice is good, though.
            Depends on the store in regards to consumer-based planned obsolescence. Wal-Mart profits around $13B a year after theft and loss is accounted for. They're also America's largest employer and corporate time theft is the biggest cause of theft in America. Even worse, they know they pay bad and screw over their workers so they hand out literature on how to get government assistance as part of their hiring process.

So don't feel bad about being consumer that practices planned obsolescence when it's done to a massive corporations. They don't feel bad when they do it to you. They don't feel bad about putting you or anyone on SNAP or HUD so they can get million dollar bonuses.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              So don't feel bad about being consumer that practices planned obsolescence when it's done to a massive corporations. They don't feel bad when they do it to you. They don't feel bad about putting you or anyone on SNAP or HUD so they can get million dollar bonuses.
              While I agree with most of this, the solution shouldn't be that you screw them back. You should support smaller businesses that respect the customer with your money.

Also a circ-saw for 80$, what where you expecting other than a useless tool that, even if it works now, will be defect in a few years? I wouldn't want such a thing because they probably left many security features away so you can kill yourself easier. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                While I agree with most of this, the solution shouldn't be that you screw them back. You should support smaller businesses that respect the customer with your money.

Also a circ-saw for 80$, what where you expecting other than a useless tool that, even if it works now, will be defect in a few years? I wouldn't want such a thing because they probably left many security features away so you can kill yourself easier. ^^
                FWIW, I did support the Mom & Pop shop and they still went out of business. The few M&Ps left are way, way too overpriced and located in extremely out of the way places for me to want to go to them. They're in the lulls between cities where it's cheaper for someone who lives in the boonies to buy their $10 bag of concrete mix versus spending $5 in fuel to drive into town to Lowe's to buy the $6 bag. As is, I'm 2.1 miles from Lowe's or 10+ miles from a Mom & Pop.

The $80 saw was just a 20V cordless saw. No batteries or any accessories. I already owned the batteries to power it. Those were $50 a piece for generics on Amazon (which work better, provide the tool with more power, than the more expensive OEM Craftsman batteries).

Comment

Working...
                X