No announcement yet.

Linux To Try Again To Disable All RNDIS Protocol Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Microsoft RNDIS protocol is, as designed, insecure and vulnerable on any system that uses it with untrusted hosts or devices. Because the protocol is impossible to make secure, just disable all rndis drivers to prevent anyone from using them again.
    This makes zeros sense to me. If we were talking about NDIS, without the R, which is about running WindowsXP binary drivers inside the Linux kernel, I could totally see it. But we're not. It's totally different.

It's like if someone said the USB keyboard driver was being removed, because USB keyboards are insecure as designed because there is no way to verify who is typing on them. And besides, no one uses USB keyboards anymore. First of all, what the hell!? Secondly, how are PS/2 keyboards secure in a way USB keyboards aren't? And third, what planet do you buy keyboards on?

RNDIS might not be well designed, but I don't understand how it is any less secure than any other USB networking protocol.

Comment

I'm really flabbergasted by Greg KH's reasoning. He argues that every Windows OS from XP onwards comes with RNDIS *enabled*. How is this a good rationale to remove stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Can't you download the packages you need on your phone and then copy them over to your desktop? It doesn't seem like you need tethering for certain. That's what I usually do when I break an install and need to fix it.
        I don't know which packages the Realtek firmware actually needs and what dependencies it pulls and how to download the dependencies too.

Besides being such a hassle to download them on the phone and then put them in the computer.

And last time that I used USB tethering I used the friend's phone so not my phone with which I'm more familiar.

Comment

I still don't get what's supposed to be insecure about this.

My phone does use this and it's not that old. I really don't want to do some weird proxying through adb when I need tethering...

Comment

The same "not clear" decision like disabling NTLM v1 in samba rendering apple time capsules and some other devices unusable, but we keep EISA bus detection even if you can't disable it via kernel cmdline, brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I don't know which packages the Realtek firmware actually needs and what dependencies it pulls and how to download the dependencies too.]
              You can look it up manually on the distro's site, or do something like this:

Code:
              pactree -s -u r8168
              r8168
              glibc
              linux-api-headers>=4.10
              tzdata
              filesystem
              iana-etc
              linux
              coreutils
              acl
              attr
              gmp
              gcc-libs
              sh
              readline
              ncurses
              libcap
              pam
              libtirpc
              krb5
              e2fsprogs
              util-linux-libs
              libldap
              libsasl
              gdbm
              openssl
              keyutils
              libverto-module-base
              libevent
              pambase
              audit
              libcap-ng
              libxcrypt
              initramfs
              awk
              mpfr
              mkinitcpio-busybox>=1.19.4-2
              kmod
              zlib
              xz
              zstd
              lz4
              util-linux>=2.23
              shadow
              systemd-libs
              libgcrypt
              libgpg-error
              libutempter
              libmagic.so=1-64
              bzip2
              libseccomp
              libarchive
              expat
              binutils
              jansson
              libelf
              curl
              ca-certificates
              ca-certificates-mozilla
              ca-certificates-utils>=20181109-3
              findutils
              p11-kit>=0.24.0
              libp11-kit=0.25.0-2.1
              libffi
              libtasn1
              brotli
              libidn2
              libunistring
              libnghttp2
              libpsl
              libssh2
              diffutils
              grep
              pcre2
              systemd
              cryptsetup
              device-mapper
              popt
              json-c
              argon2
              dbus
              iptables
              libnftnl
              libmnl
              libpcap
              libnl
              libnfnetlink
              libnetfilter_conntrack
              kbd
              hwdata
              That looks like a lot of packages​, a major pain to download manually, though in this case I'd bet all of them are already installed so probably just the firmware package to download/install. That's not always going to be the case though, and once you need a dozen packages or more, you'll likely need them at the correct older version too, cause if not you'll need to upgrade others already installed... and that is definitely not going to be fun to track down manualy, but it should be scriptable fairly easily I think.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Besides being such a hassle to download them on the phone and then put them in the computer.

And last time that I used USB tethering I used the friend's phone so not my phone with which I'm more familiar.
              Yeah it's not practical I agree, it's the whole job of a package manager after all, but it's still feasible so it's arguable in this case if security should be forgotten for that very purpose. I wonder if you can tether through bluetooth instead.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Yeah it's not practical I agree, it's the whole job of a package manager after all, but it's still feasible so it's arguable in this case if security should be forgotten for that very purpose. I wonder if you can tether through bluetooth instead.
                USB tethering is usually for the case where the PC doesn't have wireless capability or the wireless driver isn't installed yet. So Bluetooth is unlikely a viable alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

USB tethering is usually for the case where the PC doesn't have wireless capability or the wireless driver isn't installed yet. So Bluetooth is unlikely a viable alternative.
                  Or the case when the place is crowded with wireless networks and it is better to have a cable-connected device.
                  Or also if you just don't want to expose the network or want better/more stable troughput.

Comment

I wonder if cellular carriers are behind this proposal. It must NOT be merged and I will never, ever build a kernel including this change without reverting it. Not now, not ever.

This driver is important when dealing with a cellular carrier who attempts to block tethering entirely. With these carriers, USB tethering is only possible with unlocked phones that cellphone store staff have never been allowed to touch when powered on. Anything else, the built-in wireless and USB tethering programs attempt to "check the plan" and treat tethering as a transaction requiring carrier approval. This comes from carrier mods to stock android in some cases, some phones might even "support" this out of the box. Third party replacement operating systems do NOT support this trash just as they do not support DRM media in most cases, but only a few phones are supported by 3ed party OS's. For all the others, there's Azilink.

Azilink creates a nonstandard data tunnel in which data arrives on the phone and so far as the carrier can see disappears into the app. They cannot see it re-emerge on your computer save by the usual TTL (time to live) games that are so easily defeated. There is also a way of doing this over Termux with some rather complex code, but that means any carrier wanting to attempt to block this must contend with a growing list of apps to blacklist-and blacklisting Termux would get a lot of complaints from "legitimate" users who follow rules designed to favor marketing partners and the big streaming outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                      I'm really flabbergasted by Greg KH's reasoning. He argues that every Windows OS from XP onwards comes with RNDIS *enabled*. How is this a good rationale to remove stuff?
                      He wants us to use Windows. Just switch and you can have all the RNDIS you want!

Comment

Working...
                      X