Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Working On Delayed Module Signature Verification To Speed-Up Linux Boot Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    i don't doubt you heard what you heard. But the line Rahul referenced has clearly been on that page for over a decade.
    Performance was the main thing discussed at places like Phoronix, because ricers like to rice, and because something that can be benchmarked is a lot easier to discuss than talking about the fundamental design decisions that went into something like systemd vs upstart/etc.

But the stuff phoronix commenters obsessed over isn't necessarily the same things coming out of Red Hats mouth.

You can see the same sort of thing today with Wayland. The devs always said that increased performance is likely and nice, but really just a side-effect of simplifying all this crap code we have in X. But if you hang out on Phoronix, you'll think the sole reason for Wayland's existence is about improving performance.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 16 September 2023, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ranixon View Post

Did you disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module, AKA Legacy) from your UEFI? That will disable the BIOS compatibility and will but faster, but GPUs without UEFI gop will not work. Also some UEFIs also have a "fast boot" option.
      Yup all that is already setup like that. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Performance was the main thing discussed at places like Phoronix, because ricers like to rice, and because something that can be benchmarked is a lot easier to discuss than talking about the fundamental design decisions that went into something like systemd vs upstart/etc.
        Lets see some links then.

I cannot access your memory.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Lets see some links then.

I cannot access your memory.
          Links to what, commenters at phoronix being obsessed with performance? I don't think that will be difficult to find.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

In several distributions, systemd is also responsible for managing user sessions including for Plasma so the analysis wouldn't stop at the graphical target and you can plot the full graph. Even otherwise, being aware of the delta between reaching that target and rest of the session can be helpful.
            Yup you were right systemd is indeed in charge of Plasma on my system, I completely forgot.
            Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Not interested in your nonsense today Rahul, telling me I wasn't there and my eyes never saw what they clearly saw.
              Funnily enough this happens a lot with Red Hat, and there's a reason for that.

But, holy shit Rahul, did you seriously forget that wikis keep history?!

User Experience The user should notice considerably faster bootup.

That's literally the entirety of the original "UX" section. No wonder Rahul is shocked that people were somehow "misled" by it. Maybe he should tell whoever wrote it to be more careful with his choice of words next time.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                User Experience The user should notice considerably faster bootup.

That's literally the entirety of the original "UX" section. No wonder Rahul is shocked that people were somehow "misled" by it. Maybe he should tell whoever wrote it to be more careful with his choice of words next time.
                As I recall, those discussions about speed were always in comparison to the old init scripts, not the modern competitors like upstart.

I do agree there was a lot of talk about being faster than bash. Just not anything else, it was more about being competitive with them.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 30 September 2023, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X