Bcachefs File-System Re-Submitted For Linux 6.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by holunder View Post
    I have hoped they would reconsider their confusing name but my post on the mailing list got largely ignored:

Hi Kent et al., but especially Kent,

I’m very impressed by Bcachefs and very much looking forward to this FS hopefully delivering us from eternally flawed btrfs.
    But I do have a consideration and please forgive me this blunt overreach: It would really gain from a better name.
    The "XFS" and "ZFS" names are already taken, so I suggest "YFS". As in, "why are you making this filesystem when comparable solutions already exist?"

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
      Pretty sure that once people start trying to use it, it'll be considered eternally flawed by a good portion of potential users, too.
      I used an experimental feature that the developers told me not to use, AND IT BROKE. And when my SSD died, BcacheFS told me about it. Fix your terrible filesystem, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

I used an experimental feature that the developers told me not to use, AND IT BROKE. And when my SSD died, BcacheFS told me about it. Fix your terrible filesystem, Kent.
        Your sarcasm is strong.

You seem quite smart, you can fix it in an ephemeral way

Comment

So this one time at band camp I installed Linux on a BTRFS root with Zstd compression, GRUB didn't understand Zstd, and it didn't boot. Fix your terrible filesystem, Red Hat and SUSE.

Comment

The "XFS" and "ZFS" names are already taken, so I suggest "YFS". As in, "why are you making this filesystem when comparable solutions already exist?"
            there is no comparable solution.
            afaik no free linux filesystem offers tiered storage.
            it's raid5/6 implementation while not yet ready yet won't have design-phase problems like btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

Lol.. this hits nail on the head in the sense that judging from the name alone, I expected bcachefs to be some special purpose filesystem.
              Like ubifs, overlayfs or something like that.
              I didn't expect it to be a general use fs like btrfs.
              BFS is out; duplicates the name of a Linux scheduler.

BCFS appears to be unused in Linux, but the name is close to a 'bcftools' project/application.

There once was a JFS in Linux; have not used that one in decades. And XFS & ZFS would duplicate an active projects/filesystems.

Comment

it's raid5/6 implementation while not yet ready yet won't have design-phase problems like btrfs.
                From the Btrfs maintainer:
                so regarding the write hole the raid-stripe-tree will address that, though its primary purpose is to enable RAID profiles ond zoned devices.

Why do you keep writing about broken Btrfs when you don't follow the development and don't use it?

Comment

Originally posted by EmanuC View Post

From the Btrfs maintainer:

Why do you keep writing about broken Btrfs when you don't follow the development and don't use it?
                  probably because i am still mad that btrfs lost my data multiple times. granted that was years ago.
                  and btw: i was answering someone who said that btrfs can do everything bcachefs can. which is not the case.

is it possible to run vm's from btrfs (with cow enabled) now or get they still very slow after a short time? another reason why this fs is/was unusable for me.

and even *if* btrfs could do anything bcachefs can it gets boring that in every zfs or bcachefs thread some btrfs people try to argue that btrfs is a better solution.

Comment

I have hoped they would reconsider their confusing name but my post on the mailing list got largely ignored:

I’m very impressed by Bcachefs and very much looking forward to this FS hopefully delivering us from eternally flawed btrfs.
                    But I do have a consideration and please forgive me this blunt overreach: It would really gain from a better name.
                    Ridiculous request. Got any code to contribute?

Comment

Hi Kent et al., but especially Kent,

Yeah!
                      One could comfortably name it KentFS.

Comment

Working...
                      X