Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.6 Graphics Drivers: NVK uAPI, New AMD GPUs, More Meteor Lake, CI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 Graphics Drivers: NVK uAPI, New AMD GPUs, More Meteor Lake, CI Support

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Graphics Drivers: NVK uAPI, New AMD GPUs, More Meteor Lake, CI Support

The Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) subsystem updates for the Linux 6.6 kernel to provide new features for the number of kernel graphics drivers and other AI accelerator drivers within the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While it's a bummer for some of us on nvidia, I would not be surprised if nvidia just goes ok we don't need to develop for linux anymore. That would not surprise me. As bad as it sounds from both sides.

Hopefully the alternatives pan out for a lot of us gamers out there if that ends up the case.

AMD and intel have their own walled gardens as well. I don't think there is a satisfactory solution no matter what you go for.

I see nothing but not so wonderful options out there.

It's a good time to put slackware stable back on one of my drives and just say feck it for the next half decade. It's going to be awhile before current reaches 6.6 but stable is still on 5.15. Current just hit 6.1.50 yesterday.
    Last edited by creative; 31 August 2023, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      While it's a bummer for some of us on nvidia, I would not be surprised if nvidia just goes ok we don't need to develop for linux anymore. That would not surprise me. As bad as it sounds from both sides.

Hopefully the alternatives pan out for a lot of us gamers out there if that ends up the case.

AMD and intel have their own walled gardens as well. I don't think there is a satisfactory solution no matter what you go for.

I see nothing but not so wonderful options out there.

It's a good time to put slackware stable back on one of my drives and just say feck it for the next half decade. It's going to be awhile before current reaches 6.6 but stable is still on 5.15. Current just hit 6.1.50 yesterday.
      I think Nvidia might just stop updating the old kernel driver and tell everyone to use their open, GSP-based kernel module. Of course, that won't help 1000 series and older cards.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

I think Nvidia might just stop updating the old kernel driver and tell everyone to use their open, GSP-based kernel module. Of course, that won't help 1000 series and older cards.
        Yeah, sigh. Put Slackware stable back on one of my drives. Once 6.5 hits current I'm still going to blacklist currents kernel updates.

Comment

Probably they will do what most companies do in regards to Linux support, only a fixed set of LTS versions and/or enterprise distros

Comment

Working...
          X