Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5 Released With AMD P-State EPP Default, USB4 v2, MIDI 2.0 & More Hardware Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post
    Just tried to install the new kernel 6.5.0-generic from the Mainline PPA and could not because of unmet dependencies.

libc6 >2.38

????

Been installing and running all of the prior 6.5-rc kernels with no issues.

Currently running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS [6.5.0-060500rc7-generic|libc 2.35]
    I am fairly certain that 6 is greater than (>) 2.38...even for the smallest values of 6.

On the other hand, I guess "The New Math" has finally landed in the Linux Kernel?

Comment

The unmet dependency is in the GLIBC library libc6. Needs versions greater or equal to version 2.38. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS only comes with version 2.35.

That's the problem. Even bigger problem is that that GLIBC library won't ship until the Ubuntu 23.10 version ships in late October.

The kernel seems to have discovered time travel.

Comment

I don't have AMD P-State installed by default.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
          I don't have AMD P-State installed by default.
          What processor does not do that?

What kernel version?

There is a question whether Zen 2 and Zen 3 consumer cpus get automatically installed amd_pstate driver.

We know server cpus don't.

Comment

Still acpi-cpufreq on a 5950X with X570 chipset running 6.5.0-arch1-1 from [core-testing].
            (CONFIG_X86_AMD_PSTATE_DEFAULT_MODE=3)

I'll try forcing it.
            lscpu does not show cppc.
            Might be able to fiddle with related UEFI options.
            Or, maybe I need `amd_pstate.shared_mem=1` in kernel cmd?

Comment

I beleive the main criteria is you have to have CPPC=enabled in your BIOS before you can get amd_pstate.

Comment

I did already have CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores set to Enabled in my Gigabyte UEFI.
                I tried changing to Auto but no visible change.

I suspect the Gigabyte ACPI tables are at fault.
                I am now testing changing Local APIC Mode to X2APIC and using patch from rene : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTI78pG2V80
                If that does not work, I will wait for a newer Gigabyte UEFI to be released.

Update: Can't get cppc feature flag. Disabling/enabling Cool'n'Quiet and X2APIC does nothing.
                I'll wait for an updated UEFI from Gigabyte to test more.

amd_pstate is working, though, using
                - x2apic (haven't tried without)
                - René's x2apic patch (necessary to read frequency once x2apic is enabled)
                - amd_pstate=active amd_pstate.shared_mem=1 in kernel cmd
                There was a performance warning about this option in the Linux 6.0 docs, but it was removed since.

Frequency behavior appears good to the eye, no benchmarks though. 550MHz lowest clock.
                "Appears" to turbo to max instantly.

Seeing further confirmation now that desktop Zen3 at least lacks cppc.
                Docs seem to confirm: “Some new Zen3 processors such as Cezanne provide the MSR registers directly”​
                Last edited by Ranguvar; 30 August 2023, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post

What processor does not do that?

What kernel version?

There is a question whether Zen 2 and Zen 3 consumer cpus get automatically installed amd_pstate driver.

We know server cpus don't.
                  3800X
                  Kernel 6.5

Comment

OK, thanks for the info. I guess Zen 4 is the only candidate cpu that gets the driver automatically installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                      Question: Do one still has to manually enable the P-State kernel flags, or do they come enabled by default?

Code:
                      amd_pstate.shared_mem=1 amd_prefcore=enable=1 initcall_blacklist=acpi_cpufreq_init
                      Just a heads up to anyone copy/pasting the above it's meant to be:
                      Code:
                      amd_prefcore=enable
                      You can check to see it's enabled by running
                      Code:
                      cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/amd_pstate/prefcore_state

Comment

Working...
                      X