Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5 Last Minute Fixes A Performance Regression - 34% Drop In A Micro-Benchmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 Last Minute Fixes A Performance Regression - 34% Drop In A Micro-Benchmark

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 Last Minute Fixes A Performance Regression - 34% Drop In A Micro-Benchmark

While Linux 6.5 is expected for release tomorrow, the flow of last minute fixes isn't over...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CI/CD

Comment

Is the linux kernel development still more kernel mailing list based or in majority git (discussions etc?) How is the lkml stuff transferred to git? Automated?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Is the linux kernel development still more kernel mailing list based or in majority git (discussions etc?) How is the lkml stuff transferred to git? Automated?
        It's mailing list based project. The Linux kernel is the bastardized child of the Torvalds and some computer he had in the early 90s. Very few care for its welfare. Everyone is trying to push their crap into it. Fortunately, some do at least employ some belated QA and fuzzing procedures. Overall, the quality descent is nowhere what it was 10 years ago.
        As far as I can tell, merges are manual but notifications of there success are automated.

Comment

or in majority git (discussions etc?)
          What do you mean "git discussions"?

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Probably GitHub's Discussions forum feature.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Exactly what GreenReaper has written. Or e.g. you do a merge request and discuss whats wrong, what needs a change etc. Afaik this is usually done with sending patches over lkml. But as long as you dont have some GUI for it. Lkml looks very messy from the modern point of view. And I don't get why lkml has nit been abandoned by Linus yet after his git became successful and very stable.
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 27 August 2023, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel
                Peasants who think git is synonymous with github or gitlab because they only use the web UI are just on another level of cringe.

Plebs.
                I do host my gitea instance and I only use git as CLI as well as on gitlab. But yes I do think that having a modern web interface is better then a 90ies mailing list for maintaining one of the largest open source projects. Only a git would think otherwise but it sometimes mankind is disappointing. And therefore i know that git itself has no Discussion feature. But rarely it is used as a Plattform providing git repos without a modern Discussion, issue etc tracker feature list. (Including CI and Testing features.)
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 28 August 2023, 03:14 AM.

Comment

I do host my gitea instance and I only use git as CLI as well on gitlab. But yes I do think that having a modern web interface is better then a 90ies mailing list for maintaining one of the largest open source projects. Only a git would think otherwise but it sometimes mankind is disappointing. And therefore i know that that git itself has no Discussion feature itself But rarely it is used without a Plattform providing git repos without a modern Discussion, issue etc tracker. And CI and Testing features.
                  LKML as a mail-list is IMHO ten tons better than the mess that is GitHub discussions. Primary you don't have to register for some new account at some site to be able to take part of discussions, secondly you have perfect log and archive of every single message in the event say GitHub would go tits up. But ofc this is coming from some one in the same age group as Linus so it could be a get out of my lawn moment, I just simply hate to work with GitHub when I want to send in a few patches to some random project.

Also the CI provided by GitHub is nowhere near the CI that is done on the Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

LKML as a mail-list is IMHO ten tons better than the mess that is GitHub discussions. Primary you don't have to register for some new account at some site to be able to take part of discussions, secondly you have perfect log and archive of every single message in the event say GitHub would go tits up. But ofc this is coming from some one in the same age group as Linus so it could be a get out of my lawn moment, I just simply hate to work with GitHub when I want to send in a few patches to some random project.

Also the CI provided by GitHub is nowhere near the CI that is done on the Linux kernel.
                    He is not talking about GitHub, but GitLab/Gitea with you can self host, the is no risk of anything going away. And at least when it comes to GitLab CI/CD they is really nothing you couldn't do with it, it is just commands running on some hosts or docker, you can put anything into it. About the account requirement that is far easier then setup a freaking mail client to not mess up your patch files when sending, exploring pending patches is also way easier and a lot of other quality improvements. I am pretty sure Linux kernel could gain a lot of new but good devs if it would have a regular website to submit stuff, to a lot of devs not born in 90's but after 00's the mail stuff is just a huge burden.

Comment

Working...
                    X