Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As It Stands, Ubuntu Has No Issues With Mono

Phoronix: As It Stands, Ubuntu Has No Issues With Mono

On behalf of Canonical and the Ubuntu Technical Board, Scott James Remnant has issued a position statement surrounding Mono, the open-source project that provides a C# compiler for Linux (along with other operating systems) and other components for a free software .NET stack. However, the legality of Mono is frequently a key concern to free software advocates considering patents and other intellectual property that's owned by Microsoft...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

M$ is going to use anything it can to hurt Linux.

When Mono projects are vital parts of Linux, they start the trouble.

Just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      M$ is going to use anything it can to hurt Linux.

When Mono projects are vital parts of Linux, they start the trouble.

Just wait.
      You are right, why should they make trouble now if the can wait and make it when more people use it.

Hopeful Mono will never be a important piece of linux.

What I don't understand, why did Debian include Tomboy (which requires Mono) into the default desktop install http://robertmh.wordpress.com/2009/0...fault-install/, if they can use the same app, Gnomte in C++ without Mono?

Comment

I think this is a foolish move by Canonical.
        Time will tell I guess.

Comment

Yes, Mono will be a very powerful weapon against Linux. In fact M$ are in complete control.

I hope Red Hat make a statement about Mono. They are always very careful, and don't include anything with a potential patent or license issue.

What is Gnome and KDE's take on Mono? Do they have Mono programs in their suites?

Comment

I read somewhere that Gnome choose some Mono programs to be included in there desktop.

I don't know any KDE apps that uses Mono!

Comment

If I'm correct, there are (among others, of course) C# bindings for the kdelibs, but that's where it stops. Luckily.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                I read somewhere that Gnome choose some Mono programs to be included in there desktop.
                It is

Comment

I thought most of the .net stack was opened after standardization. Also, I don't think the software patents microsoft holds on .net will stand up in court, at least in most of europe. Might be wrong there though, but I thought europe at least is far more strict when it come to software patents

Comment

As far as I know, Mono is not used for any common KDE programs. Most of them seem to be written in either C++ or a scripting language like Python. I think it should stay that way. I can see the day (quite easily) when Micro$h!t destroys GNOME because of all the Mono they plan to include. KDE is being smart, as always, and not including it.

Comment

Working...
                    X