Linux kCFI/FineIBT Weaknesses Addressed By Rewriting Some Assembly In C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux kCFI/FineIBT Weaknesses Addressed By Rewriting Some Assembly In C

Phoronix: Linux kCFI/FineIBT Weaknesses Addressed By Rewriting Some Assembly In C

Ahead of the Linux 6.5-rc2 release tomorrow there was a set of x86/x86_64 kernel changes merged overnight to deal with some weaknesses in the kernel's Control Flow Integrity (kCFI) / FineIBT (Indirect Branch Tracking) code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not Rust? Outrage!

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      Not Rust? Outrage!
      The Torvalds only understands C (and Makefiles).

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

The Torvalds only understands C (and Makefiles).
        imho Makefiles are even worse than C, bcoz C is just old and Makefiles are downright disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

imho Makefiles are even worse than C, bcoz C is just old and Makefiles are downright disgusting.
          Well, build.ninja files aren't better but meson makes it easy to generate them.

Comment

Michael

typo/grammar

"attacks on kernel" maybe "attacks on the kernel"?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What would you suggest with the same features and cross-platform support?

I recently decided rewrite this from scratch for a cross-platform & cross-language build system.

* https://github.com/enspirit/makefile...aster/Makefile

It isn't very readable, but it runs everywhere and offers flexibility to develop, test, vulnerability scan, deploy, N-projects from a single script.

Code:
              $(foreach component,$(DOCKER_COMPONENTS),$(eval $(call make-image-rules,$(component),$(component)/Dockerfile,$(component))))
              If there's something out there that has a better syntax I'll be happy to try test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

What would you suggest with the same features and cross-platform support?

I recently decided rewrite this from scratch for a cross-platform & cross-language build system.

* https://github.com/enspirit/makefile...aster/Makefile

It isn't very readable, but it runs everywhere and offers flexibility to develop, test, vulnerability scan, deploy, N-projects from a single script.

Code:
                $(foreach component,$(DOCKER_COMPONENTS),$(eval $(call make-image-rules,$(component),$(component)/Dockerfile,$(component))))
                If there's something out there that has a better syntax I'll be happy to try test it.
                wtf are you even doing, do you really expect anyone to do that for you just to answer your question? I'd rather shave my hazelnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                  Not Rust? Outrage!
                  I'll presume you are were being sarcastic?

This is a programming logic error not a memory leak issue (or whatever type of memory issues Rust solves).

"I am not a Rust programmer nor do I play one on TV."

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

I'll presume you are were being sarcastic?
                    I cannot say. My sarcasm-meter just exploded for some reason...

Comment

Working...
                    X