Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 Will Make It Easy To Disable IO_uring System-Wide

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Will Make It Easy To Disable IO_uring System-Wide

While IO_uring has been one of the most interesting kernel innovations of recent years and can allow for great speed-ups to async I/O, there have been some security concerns and with the Linux 6.6 kernel it will be easier for Linux administrators to disable it system-wide if so desired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux 6.6 Will Make It Easy To Disable IO_uring System-Wide
    BSD also makes it very easy to keep IO_uring disabled system-wide too

In some ways it is annoying that a great use-case for this tech is for large multi-user servers but at the same time, some guys might only consider enabling it for offline devices.
    I tried it out for atomic modesetting for libdrm (i.e in place of this) for one offline project but in my measurements, I couldn't really make best use of it.

Comment

Well this will be really handy! I am having some really bad pain points with io_uring and glusterfs these days... its bugs somewhere... but no time to track it down... It will be handy to have a toggle to just disable it!

Comment

IO_uring has yielded some security concerns and vulnerabilities particularly for those sticking to older versions of the Linux kernel.
        And this will help that...how exactly?

Comment

I'm curious why they haven't put an LSM hook in front of IO_uring.
          It feels like the perfect use case.

But clearly I'm not a kernel dev

Comment

Is a long term solution addressed to fix these vulnerabilities without disabling IO_uring?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
              And this will help that...how exactly?
              When It's 2026 and you're still running your old 2023 kernel, at least you'll be able to disable IO_uring easily lol

Comment

very sad to hear that the first really good async I/O interface gains the reputation of being insecure
                I use it in my project https://vitastor.io - it's really convenient and improves performance a lot
                I'd even say that I'd prefer all synchonous syscalls replaced with io_uring variants synchronous APIs are bad
                for example, the same QEMU driver (my driver) gives 50k iops without io_uring and 90k iops with io_uring. just because of lower syscall count
                The mission of the CVE® Program is to identify, define, and catalog publicly disclosed cybersecurity vulnerabilities.

25 vulnerabilities, 13 of them are caused by "fixed buffer", "fixed file" manipulations and poll registration. these are things which I don't use

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                  Is a long term solution addressed to fix these vulnerabilities without disabling IO_uring?
                  The work has been ongoing for over a year, it just takes time to work out issues with a new interface like this. There's nothing inherently unsecure about io_uring, it's just uncovering a lot of footguns in the kernel interfaces that io_uring handlers call into. As those are discovered and resolved, it should be just as (un)secure as the existing syscalls.

Comment

This could make for easy performance testing to see how much of an impact it makes.

Comment

Working...
                    X