Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5 Brings New "cachestat" Syscall For Querying Page Cache Stats Of A File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 Brings New "cachestat" Syscall For Querying Page Cache Stats Of A File

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 Brings New "cachestat" Syscall For Querying Page Cache Stats Of A File

A new system call found in Linux 6.5 is "cachestat" that allows user-space to query page cache statistics for a file in order to make more informed decisions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm no systems engineer nor software engineer nor database engineer. But this seems to be a rather significant upgrade to the kernel and for large-scale database performance. When I read the part of it being analogous to du or disk usage that's when the light bulb came on.

But I must admit this seems like it should have been a part of the kernel a while ago. This is important if not vital information the system should have exposure to. I guess with the advent of not just large scale databases but hyper scale globally distributed databases the time has come for this exposure to page cache info. Just an intuition on my part but this could lead to really large performance increases over time.
    Last edited by Jumbotron; 07 July 2023, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X