Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

systemd 254-rc1 Deprecates SysV Scripts, Adds Soft Reboots & systemd-battery-check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emmanuel Deloget

A lot of things have changed. When I first started out pretty serious with this stuff I was on Slackware for a while, at that period different distributions had their init systems setup differently. I mainly used init for bringing down the graphical environment for certain things, like installing nvidia's drivers, I think that was about 2004? Used for shutting down and restarting too. Was running Doom3 and very glad to have that game on an operating system I found more interesting than what was popularly ran.

Wasn't as knowledgeable back then as I am now with these sorts of things, I probably forgot a lot of stuff concerning that era's Linux experience back then, which was pretty limited concerning gaming.

It's been quite a while since I have tested a distribution without systemd, I think the last one I tried was void linux. I was pretty impressed with it.

Linux users do have to put up with changes that they don't have a whole ton of control over. I have stayed with it cause it's a lot more tinker friendly.

It sounds strange but I grew up with a C64, of course I had win95 later but when I discovered Linux it had me immediately noticing something from my C64 years, Linux made a PC seem much more like a computer, that's another reason why I have stayed with it.
    Last edited by creative; 10 July 2023, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
      And this is a problem in my humble opinion because as users we don't have much control over the destiny of systemd. While there is little chance to ever see systemd going the proprietary route, we still have to compose with what the big promoters of systemd want or need to solidify their business. By the time systemd will start to be seen as a liability (if it ever does) it will impose a tremenduous effort from all the developpers to be removed from linux distributions. This is something that, as a community, we should keep in mind.
      Systemd is going to be hard to replace because of it larger area of coverage.

Systemd is being used to replace service management and desktop session management. Sysv was only service management.

Something to consider is yes systemd is going to take a lot of effort to replace but before systemd we had fragmentation. Kde and gnome are both moving to systemd for session management on Linux from their prior unique solutions.

Remember systemd to replace sysvinit had to provide sysvinit compatibility.

Yes we has tones of sysvinit alteratives over time but the only ones to get any sign of decent market share had sysvinit compatibility. Yes upstart systemd and a few others had sysvinit compadiblity so had decent market share.

The replacement to systemd to get major usage on Linux at this point will have to have systemd compatibility like it or not. This is just the way things go like it or not.

Also lets be real users really did not have very much control over sysvinit development or desktop environment session management solutions so the lack of control with systemd is nothing new.

Comment

:|

I though that "network and systems" was a specific engineering cursus, sanctionned by a BSc or an equivalent diploma in many countries. I also though that "embedded systems architecture and programming" was another specific engineering cursus, also sanctionned by a BSc or an equivalent diploma.

Thankfully, I learnt today that as long as you have a bachelor of computer science, you shall be able to do everything related to every piece of computer-like or computer-based system.

Being a software engineer means you learnt to program things. It does not mean you learnt all the other skills that are tipically associated to "the guy who knows how the computer work".

(and setting up a home router can be quite challenging, depending on what you want to do ; I kind of know that, as I made the systems for many routers (home or enterprise) for many tears during my tenure as a software engineer in a telco).

I would even say that even with the FreeBSD Linux compat layer, there is still no interrop between uniwes anyway
        Well there is the Cisco Certified Network Engineer (if i recall correctly) and at least in North America it is relatively recognized as a credential even though its not a degree per say. But ya basically spot on with what you said!

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Well there is the Cisco Certified Network Engineer (if i recall correctly) and at least in North America it is relatively recognized as a credential even though its not a degree per say. But ya basically spot on with what you said!
          It's Cisco, so it's well preceived in many big companies, for many reasons (*cough* *cough* invitation to the CES *cough* *cough*)

(also, sorry if I felt a bit sarcastically rude in my previous post ; I did not mean it -- but then, it was about 3am and I was a bit tired. So... I hereby present you my apologies).

Comment

It's Cisco, so it's well preceived in many big companies, for many reasons (*cough* *cough* invitation to the CES *cough* *cough*)

(also, sorry if I felt a bit sarcastically rude in my previous post ; I did not mean it -- but then, it was about 3am and I was a bit tired. So... I hereby present you my apologies).
            Lol no worries, it was totally tame for the Phoronix forums! Did not feel like any of it was a "personal" attack (again... its Phoronix so if its not a personal attack its basically a compliment...)

You had solid points hence the response

Cisco certification to me is kind of like the very light weight version of being an IBM Fellow.

Comment

Working...
            X