No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Maker Canonical Pulls In Control Of LXD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only "LXC" anything I have done lately was in Proxmox or in Libvirt and it wasn't production. Once a long time ago I had an app delivered to me as a LXC, which I thought was pretty cool, but snaps and flatpaks kind of replaced that.

So is all of the Linux big guys starting to bring home their toys now. First Red Hat and now Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Do some research ASAP.
      There really isn't any good replacement, as far as I know. If you're not truly familiar with LXD, you may not be able to appreciate just how easy it makes it to manage containers and VMs and how much functionality is on the offer there. I really wish LXD was under the management of some non-profit...

Comment

There is also podman’s support to run containers as systemd units. That could be an alternative to lxd.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          The truth is that canonical has not being treated with the respect they deserve..
          One just need to think about the good things they created and their dreams, smartphones and all..
          A integrated desktop/phone...and so on, they created a fantastic display server, which is probably one of the best things they managed to complete, and probably a lot better than wayland ..and for what?
          They got marginalized..

The aggressive behaviour by a part of our community has being alienating the parts that really wanted to move forward.
          Instead of accept each other, majority of time we fight each other..and this in the long term, has a very bad effect.

With that being sad, he created licenses that where very discussed and rejected by the majority...
          But hey redhat is doing a comparable thing, just recently, threatening the open-source community...and where is the outrage?
          Will we do with redhat, the same we did with canonical?
          because to be concise.. we would..
          I have noticed that only nvidia, intel and perhaps MS, have this invulnerability cloak that Linux fans seems to always give a pass.

Then you have Canonical and now Red Hat as the boogiemen…..

Strange shit, right?….

Comment

Not sure what that means. LXD is really cool, it's like a modernized LXC on steroids. Really powerful system containers, really easy to manage. And no, podman is in no way an alternative and neither is systemd-nspawn. What's special about LXD is the management aspect, which others simply don't have!

Comment

Originally posted by plan-g View Post
              There is also podman’s support to run containers as systemd units. That could be an alternative to lxd.

https://docs.podman.io/en/latest/mar...md.unit.5.html
              No, not really. LXD is a full-on management system allowing for stuff like e.g. clustering, automatic snapshots, moving and/or copying of containers/VMs to other systems running LXD, you can really easily attach devices, mount points and so on to your containers/VMs and so on and so forth, not to mention it's all done in a reasonably coherent, easy manner. I can for example move a container to another system simply with
              Code:
              lxc move mycontainerhere targetsystem:
              or I can spawn a container from one system on an another one, followed by launching a shell in it, with
              Code:
              lxc launch ubuntu:jammy targetsystem:jammers && lxc shell targetsystem:jammers
              You're not going to get anywhere close to that with just Podman. Not to mention that Docker/Podman containers don't really work the same as LX[C|D] containers anyway.

Comment

Boo hoo I hate when developers have ownership over their code wah wah

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  Boo hoo I hate when developers have ownership over their code wah wah
                  Well, that's kind of a silly thing for you to hate.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    The truth is that canonical has not being treated with the respect they deserve..
                    One just need to think about the good things they created and their dreams, smartphones and all..
                    A integrated desktop/phone...and so on, they created a fantastic display server, which is probably one of the best things they managed to complete, and probably a lot better than wayland ..and for what?
                    They got marginalized..

The aggressive behaviour by a part of our community has being alienating the parts that really wanted to move forward.
                    Instead of accept each other, majority of time we fight each other..and this in the long term, has a very bad effect.

With that being sad, he created licenses that where very discussed and rejected by the majority...
                    But hey redhat is doing a comparable thing, just recently, threatening the open-source community...and where is the outrage?
                    Will we do with redhat, the same we did with canonical?
                    because to be concise.. we would..
                    Of course people have been bashing Red hat a lot, so you won't have to worry. Not sure how you have missed it.

Comment

All this moral panic about Canonical "taking over" and "screwing up" LXD ignores the fact that Canonical was already by far the largest contributor to LXD. If their direction was going to screw up LXD, why didn't it do so in all the years since Canonical made LXD?

Comment

Working...
                      X