Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

libjpeg-turbo 3.0 Released But May Be The End Of Feature Work Due To Funding Constraints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libjpeg-turbo 3.0 Released But May Be The End Of Feature Work Due To Funding Constraints

Phoronix: libjpeg-turbo 3.0 Released But May Be The End Of Feature Work Due To Funding Constraints

The libjpeg-turbo 3.0 open-source release occurred today for this open-source JPEG image codec implementation focused on SIMD instruction usage for optimized efficiency. While libjpeg-turbo has been a great open-source development success and has seen widespread use, its feature development moving forward may be limited due to funding gaps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good riddance.

Just use IJG libjpeg or ISO libjpeg.

Comment

Anybody want to hear about me and my problems?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
        Thats what thought

Counter argment: You maintain open source project? Write news for living?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Good riddance.

Just use IJG libjpeg or ISO libjpeg.
          Nobody sane would consider such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
            In times such as these...

I-Wish-The-Ring-Had-Never-Come-To-Me-Twitter-2.jpg

Comment

> As it stands, libjpeg-turbo only has general funding for about 8-10 hours of labor per month. Finishing the 3.0 beta release required borrowing against all expected general funding for 2023

I completely don’t understand. OK, maintaining the serverver (with various compiler and static analysis pipelines) needs some money, but why the labor? Unless he is hiring someone to do the work for the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Nobody sane would consider such a thing.
                Only a moron will use a gimped library that has no support for JPEG9 or JPEG XT

Comment

Shouldn't RedHat pay for it?

Comment

Hopefully standalone implementations of JPEG won't be required for much longer. The ongoing effort by the JPEG committee to supersede JPEG with JPEG-XL will also provide a new reference implementation of JPEG that supports both the old and the new formats, simplifying the transition process and hopefully consolidating efforts to support JPEG moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X