Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT4 With Linux 6.5 Will See Much Faster Parallel Direct I/O Overwrite Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 With Linux 6.5 Will See Much Faster Parallel Direct I/O Overwrite Performance

Phoronix: EXT4 With Linux 6.5 Will See Much Faster Parallel Direct I/O Overwrite Performance

Ted Ts'o has submitted all the EXT4 feature changes for the Linux 6.5 merge window. EXT4 this round is seeing various clean-ups, bug fixes, and other enhancements but there is one performance optimization worth calling attention to...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From which version of the Kernel does the aforementioned regression affect Ext4?
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 28 June 2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      From which version of the Kernel does the aforementioned regression affect Ext4?
      It could be that he is referring this regression by comparison, from EXT4 to XFS.

Comment

I wish some ZFS devs cared about performance on NVMe (like on their own personal laptops) vs EXT4/F2FS/XFS... I'm sure it could be way closer, if we optimized for it and made a coherent profile by which testers could use to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by paulocoghi View Post

It could be that he is referring this regression by comparison, from EXT4 to XFS.
          I think it's likely ext4 vs ext4 regession, here's the original post the patch author made in February.

of course, this is a corner case, as you aren't supposed to be sending unaligned IO if you care about performance (which would seem to be the case when you are doing direct io)

Comment

So it's fake news. There's no (new) performance increase, instead the patch is simply trying to regain some performance that was lost earlier when specs were changed.

Comment

Originally posted by deusexmachina View Post
              I wish some ZFS devs cared about performance on NVMe (like on their own personal laptops) vs EXT4/F2FS/XFS... I'm sure it could be way closer, if we optimized for it and made a coherent profile by which testers could use to compare.
              They care, but it's a slow process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8sl8gj9UnA

Comment

ohhhhhhhh yes! August is coming, forget winter haha 🤣

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

I think it's likely ext4 vs ext4 regession, here's the original post the patch author made in February.

Comment

Originally posted by paulocoghi View Post
                    Thanks for the info!

So, the EXT4 regression has involved the 6.1 version of kernel and likely some previous kernels, it appears to be fixed since the 6.2 kernel.
                    Last edited by MorrisS.; 14 July 2023, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X