GNU Shepherd 0.10 Released For Guile-Written Init/Service Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermo View Post
    I'm assuming that, theoretically, you could switch the current Linux kernel out with GNU Hurd and it would work with that as well. A noble goal, if perhaps not very practical?
    Yes, and they offer official Guix Hurd developer snapshots, albeit for virtual machines instead of real hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      This project will never ever gain traction, and the developers will maybe conclude 20 years later that they've spent the better part of their life on something utterly useless. In fact, this garbage was already abandoned once. That's what happens when you do things with just about ZERO demand, no clearly stated goals, or issues to be solved. An alternative just for the sake of being an alternative is just what it is, "I know best" in full throttle.
      GNU Guix is being used in the field of RNA and genomic sequencing, because of its ability to create exact reproducible builds on a variety of different machines.

I doubt that the developers of GNU Guix are worried that they are working on a project that will never be used by anyone and for which there is zero demand.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

GNU Guix is being used in the field of RNA and genomic sequencing, because of its ability to create exact reproducible builds on a variety of different machines.

I doubt that the developers of GNU Guix are worried that they are working on a project that will never be used by anyone and for which there is zero demand.
        What's the reason you're going to choose GNU Guix over NixOS?

Some advantages of NixOS over GNU Guix:
        1. Many more packages (86,180)
        2. Faster startup and shutdown than Guix
        3. Faster installation/build of packages than GNU Guix
        4. Can you also preview apps in Guix before they are installed?
        5. NixOS has better security and easier options to customize your security in one line
        6. NixOS has better documentation than GNU Guix
        7. NixOS packages are more up-to-date than GNU Guix
        8. Does GNU Guix support the proprietary Nvidia drivers?​
        9. Higher performance of apps

Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          As a GNU project we can expect a 1.0 release sometime this century.
          It's just a number, it's used in a very popular distribution today, with hurd was basically limited to 99.99% virtual machine usage. And if you think the number of guix users is to low compared to let's say ubuntu, sure but you can play the same game with windows compared to windows (at least on the desktop site).
          If you call it version 5388.0 or 0.00001 it's just dust and smoke... it works it's usable and it get's used, so you can't use the hurd joke because there it was "it's ready when..." Gnu/Herd is ready today.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            This looks just as useful as Hurd.
            How so nobody installed Hurd except some developers, GNU / Guix is a very popular distribution and 100% of it's users use it...

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              No, GNU is an actual software cult that believes software itself must have rights, and more rights than the people who actually use it.
              Stop spreading lies, GNU thinks that ALL Users should have more rights, so let's say if you take a "opensource" software add a feature and sell it proprietary you take away the rights compared to giving it away with the source code. So it just don't favors the interest of 1 person compared to 1-x "customers" rights. Your claim they would care more of the rights of bits and bytes over people is just a evil mischaracterization and lie. You can have different believes but don't claim that they have people and have a cult of valuing software as people/persons.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post

5. NixOS has better security and easier options to customize your security in one line

Etc.
                As somebody that switched it's main machine to Guix from Nixos has something to say, some of the points is about the age of the project Nixos is older, so duh they might have better documentation. Even I would doubt that to a degree. Their documentation is pretty horrible, while the quality of the documentation the Guix Project has is much better.

1. you can install nix and dpkg package manager in guix, yet you can't (at least not easily) install guix into nixos, you can use docker and flatpak in guix.
                2. this update should change there a lot, let's compare after this is in guix again.
                3. sure that is a price but I am sure at some point that will get better, if you know what you are doing and don't try like me to use it on a netbook first it's okish, as long as there is substitutes and it doesn't start to try to compile things like the kernel.
                4. I don't know what that means, there is guix containers...
                5. for desktop os security is basically irrelevant.
                6. already targeted that point.
                7. I doubt this as a general statement, what do you even compare some "unstable" channel when 99% of people use currently the 22.11 channel.
                8. Well there is the Nonguix channel, with that, yes, but it's much more basic without it you basically are screwed with amd/radeon, too.
                9. ?????

Advantage of guix over Nixos:
                1. the programming language is one of the if not the best in existence lisp, a matured great easy to understand language, often tried to copy never reached, meanwhile Nixos has some strange bastard between ini File and programming language and you can't learn it without murdering somebody in the process or just forget everything you ever learned about programming languages in your whole live.
                2. it's easier to install guix with non-guix repository than trying to install telega for emacs in nixos.
                3. because packaging is done in a sane programming language it's thinkable to write your own packages, absolute impossible in nixos except you shot yourself in the head to understand this crap of a excuse of a programming language.
                4. no extreme advertisement of proprietary software like nvidia but also no advertisement for software that is badly integrated into linux like zfs.
                5. guix home module allowes you to have a reproducable home folder.
                6. better packaging of next-browser.
                7. nntp mailing lists.
                8. the website is very corparate looking and ugly of nixos, the guix one is much more like a normal opensource project.

Btw yes emacs has a telega version but for whatever reason it never worked for me and I could also never install it inside of emacs.

The point is you will run into problems with both distributions either a package does not exist or it will not run, then you face in nixos one of the most horrible programming languages to grasp, while with guix the best (lisp)... so the choice is pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The syntax is not the worst part, at least it's consistently parseable and machine-readable. The worst is that apparently it still uses pidfiles.
                  It doesn't have to. In fact, the default openssh-configuration for a system service uses make-inetd-constructor when the Shepherd used has support for it (0.9.0), which uses socket activation and doesn't require a PID file for synchronization.

Syntax may be surprising to many people not used to Scheme (a Lisp dialect), but after you've gotten a hang of it, it's used exclusively throughout the Guix System, so you only get to be surprised once.
                  Last edited by Apteryx; 15 May 2023, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post

Etc.
                    Every time I try Nix package manager, the software I'm looking for is 6+ months (and in some cases well over a year) out of date. I see no value if they are just going to grab their sources from Debian old-stable or something like that.

Guix is fully libre licensed software, so there are tremendous advantages over most other distros, including over Nix, which appears to just throw anything in the repos, regardless of license or other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      5. guix home module allowes you to have a reproducable home folder.
                      What in the land of f*ck is a "reproducible home folder"!?

I can't even work out if that's meant to be a home folder that's the same on every system you log into / boot up (why would I want that? I have different needs from each system I use, and therefore different preferences on each depending on the intended use of the machine), or home folders that are the same for each account created on the machine (again, see previous — different users have wildly different configuration needs).

Comment

Working...
                      X