Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's SLAB Allocator Next On Deck For Deprecation & Removal

Phoronix: Linux's SLAB Allocator Next On Deck For Deprecation & Removal

With the in-development Linux 6.4 kernel the SLOB allocator is removed while next the plan is for the deprecation and eventual removal of the SLAB allocator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's face it, SLOB was quite the mess, and SLAB looks to have fallen flat. I guess it is as they say: "Rub-a-dub-dub, you got to use SLUB!"
    Last edited by ehansin; 11 May 2023, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Was SLAB actually better at anything, relative to SLOB or SLUB?

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        Was SLAB actually better at anything, relative to SLOB or SLUB?
        Here's a history of them: https://events.static.linuxfound.org...allocators.pdf

Comment

i remember hearing this story of how Jeff Bonwick named the original SLAB allocator (for sunos) due to a childhood friend that used to say "don't pinch an inch, grab a slab" as they would grab their belly fat. Cannot find a reference to this story anymore, so who knows if it's true. I think of this story every time the SLAB is mentioned, and it seems like that name will be going away soon enough.

Comment

Working...
          X