Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Has A New Firewire IEEE-1394 Maintainer - Intends To Maintain Support To 2029

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

How can you cheat with them?
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I was wondering that too. I can't figure out how a DAC allows someone to cheat on a game.
    not using a dac but a custom firewire device, sorry if I wasn't clear, firewire allows DMA which can be used to gain accsess to memory with an external hardware device. it's the same theory as using pcie screamers. it's a simple DMA attack, it's not too uncommon, but when someone with admin privledges to a PC can get DMA accsess it can be a pain for anticheat to detect it. now ofc most people just use stuff like screamers.

Originally posted by truscellino View Post
    There were top quality Firewire audio interfaces, from about 10y ago. I am still using these and can't see why I would stop. I seem to remember that for older and less powerful machines, Firewire allows good transfer rates with low CPU overhead. let's stop the planned obsolescence, linux is great for that, we have to be grateful to these maintainers...
    I am seeing some migration towards thunderbolt devices​​

Comment

Have had IEEE1394/Firewire onboard a ~2000 Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, then using a (Belkin) PCMCIA Firewire /USB-2 card. Subsequently installed a (Belkin) PCI Firewire/USB-2 card on a desktop PC. Firewire was very reliable, and provided much faster disk transfers using Firewire than USB-2, due to not sending (Firewire) packets through the CPU for additional processing, unlike USB-1/USB-2. I'm pretty sure nowadays with USB-3, USB-3 has likely picked-up on this and is also likely now sending packets straight to storage media, rather than sending packets through the CPU first. (Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if USB-3 is still sending packets through our super fast CPUs first, then to storage media, while everybody keeps going along for the ride not even realizing this!)

Aside from the famous ATI R100/R200 Theatre PCI video cards for analog to digital VHS converting, Firewire devices were also used for transferring analog video. Although many were satisfied with the transfers using Firewire, Firewire tends to be YUV 4:2:0 sub-sampling (or something similar) rather than YUV 4:2:2 sub-sampling. (YUV 4:2:2 is the de facto standard for archiving video, better quality.) Although I have had a Canopus ADVC-100, I did not experience good video conversion using Firewire due to audio/video sync problems. Nor did I have an ATI video card. However, Firewire is what I strongly preferred for backing up data to external storage devices, was far noticeably faster than USB-2!

I should also add, the reason why some or most people had good experiences using Firewire for transferring video or VHS video, they were likely using camcorders, as previously mentioned. Camcorders usually had TBC-like circuitry, creating good VHS/analog conversion via Firewire. And of which, most TBC circuitry has been either side-stepped (within software firmware/drivers) or completely omitted on most ~2015 and later computer video converting hardware, assuming consumers only care about HDMI video (a completely digital compatible video format without tearing or other analog anomalies) versus analog video.

Long story short, yes I still have working Firewire hardware. However, tucked-away but not forgotten as I still have working portable/handheld devices still requiring 32-bit Windows XP OEM software. Blame Rust Language for quietly/sneakingly pulling 32-bit/SSE support/builds, and demanding SSE2, SSE2 for which is not present on 32-bit Pentium 3 processors. However, people keep falsely claiming Pentium 3 has SSE2. Yup, really weird. I would still be using my Dell Inspiron and and other desktops more often, if it wasn't for Rust Language invading the Internet browsers, and other code within Linux/Open Source software.
      Last edited by rogerx; 28 April 2023, 02:02 AM.

Comment

As far as I can remember, I never had a firewire device. I saw a colleague using one with a camera IIRC. To me it looked like a fad from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
          As far as I can remember, I never had a firewire device. I saw a colleague using one with a camera IIRC. To me it looked like a fad from the beginning.
          ....I watched 2 million dollar room-sized printers painting fancy paper based on camera's that punched out data to MacOS9 computer's constantly.

Horse racing is serious business, and frame's meant money.

Firewire wasn't a fad. You could control the camera's in ways nothing else prior could conceive. I cam eon the scen very late to this stuff. I used it on on (x86) PC's not long after, and whilst it wasn't the greatest experience, it certainly was FAR better than anything USB at the time could do. Analogue conversion was still king, digital was weenie and Linux was 'wtf!?'

Unfun fact; there were still digital camera's using floppy disc's at the time albeit, RARELY.
          Hi

Comment

While I still have a couple FW adapters and cables, I don't use them. I still have the FW storage that I had used for archiving, but to be honest, it was never stable. No matter what OS I used, it would go offline mysteriously, stop accepting writes or hang the computer itself. I tried moving them over to FreeNAS, but no matter the cable, adapter or FW storage I would get constant kernel errors in the logs complaining about them. It finally hung in the middle of a project and I retired them. Not sure why I havent tossed them.

Comment

I wonder if the problem is platform related. I use man Firewire 400 & 800 storage peripherals over many years with different Macs running different versions of MacOS 9 & 10, never had any trouble. Never used any Firewire devices on PC, either under Windows or Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                ....I watched 2 million dollar room-sized printers painting fancy paper based on camera's that punched out data to MacOS9 computer's constantly.
                I know. Been there. A fad for macs from about 1995 that faded out after 2000. Apple and Sony made sure with their patents that nobody else could make serious use of it. Serious business only for Apple+Sony who could charge a premium for their fads. I know of at least 3 companies in my region that operated these "room-sized printers" that are all out of business by now.

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Unfun fact; there were still digital camera's using floppy disc's at the time albeit, RARELY.
                ... another fad for the history museum of photography

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  While I still have a couple FW adapters and cables, I don't use them. I still have the FW storage that I had used for archiving, but to be honest, it was never stable. No matter what OS I used, it would go offline mysteriously, stop accepting writes or hang the computer itself. I tried moving them over to FreeNAS, but no matter the cable, adapter or FW storage I would get constant kernel errors in the logs complaining about them. It finally hung in the middle of a project and I retired them. Not sure why I havent tossed them.
                  Yeah, pointless stuff now, but for me, I never really used the storage mediums unless you had the camera's I believe. Not sure what the interface to PC's was about, as I experienced the same quite often. XP blue-screening quite often.
                  Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X