F2FS & Btrfs Enjoy Some Nice Improvements With Linux 6.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Using ext4 for root, F2FS for everything else SSD. About year now as well, no complaints. Speeds are fantastic.
    Raspberry Pi is somewhat specific, due to its power issues.

If the USB power supply can't provide RPi with stable 5V (which is often the case due to thin USB cables) then glitches in supplied voltage can ruin SD cards, because SD cards usually don't have very sophisticated power supplies either.
    RPi may survive all sorts of glitches, but SD cards get bricked quite quickly.

Things got better with RPi-4 with integrated USB-C power converter, but RPi-3 and older were quite bad in this regard.

Edit:
    It's not exclusively 'bricking' SD cards - often times SD card survives, but you lose the data (filesystem can't recover data loss).
    At least in my experience, that was the case.
    Last edited by pkese; 26 April 2023, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
      Things got better with RPi-4 with integrated USB-C power converter, but RPi-3 and older were quite bad in this regard.
      Rp4 only uses a USB-C connector. It has no other improvements in its power delivery system. That's a better connector for power than a micro-USB connector, but it didn't really fix any issues as the Rp4 uses so much more power than previous models. If they *had* included USB-C/PD support, that would have been a game changer. But, as they built it, the Rp4 is yet another flawed board with poor power delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Rp4 only uses a USB-C connector. It has no other improvements in its power delivery system. That's a better connector for power than a micro-USB connector, but it didn't really fix any issues as the Rp4 uses so much more power than previous models. If they *had* included USB-C/PD support, that would have been a game changer. But, as they built it, the Rp4 is yet another flawed board with poor power delivery.
        Oh, I was not aware that they haven't fixed the actual problem.
        Valuable info, thanks. I'll stay away from RPi until they do (I've spent too much time debugging power issues in RPi already).

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

Oh, I was not aware that they haven't fixed the actual problem.
          Valuable info, thanks. I'll stay away from RPi until they do (I've spent too much time debugging power issues in RPi already).
          They even picked up new mistakes when moving to USB-C. They failed to use two signaling resistors on the two CC lines. Instead, they tied them together and used one resistor. This caused smart USB-PD supplies to not see the board as a valid load and therefore not provide any power. I guess we can be happy that they didn't make the mistake that others have made where they use a USB-C connector for a fixed higher voltage (often 12V). This is very dangerous as that's well outside of the safe voltage range for non-PD aware USB-C devices.
          Last edited by willmore; 28 April 2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X