RISC-V With Linux 6.3 Lands Optimized String Functions Via Zbb Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikruusa View Post
    This is nonsense. Its not your desktop system. Use buildroot to generate specific OS builds and you have a very capable platform for IoT.
    Agreed.

For a SBC under $100 that can run a desktop, VisionFive 2.

For IoT, D1, ESP32-C family and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
      For a SBC under $100 that can run a desktop, VisionFive 2.
      Funny you should mention that. I was eyeing the VF2 up earlier today as another "can't sleep and need a distraction" tinkering system. Worth thinking about more seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
        Funny you should mention that. I was eyeing the VF2 up earlier today as another "can't sleep and need a distraction" tinkering system. Worth thinking about more seriously?
        I own one. It was a real mess the first week. Now, it's been a month, and the community already got a lot done. There's choice of distributions and kernels, as well as guides for upgrading the firmware, picking a heatsink or case and other such tasks. People are already running emulators and playing games on these.

As I understand it, it's not possible to get anything RISC-V that's faster, at any price. So it's the board to get, despite its low cost.

It is gonna be strictly a tinkering system for the better part of the first half of this year; it'll be a well understood and supported board after that, comparable in ease of use as well as performance to popular ARM-based boards, thus accomplishing its objective of advancing the RISC-V community.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

I own one. It was a real mess the first week. Now, it's been a month, and the community already got a lot done. There's choice of distributions and kernels, as well as guides for upgrading the firmware, picking a heatsink or case and other such tasks. People are already running emulators and playing games on these.

As I understand it, it's not possible to get anything RISC-V that's faster, at any price. So it's the board to get, despite its low cost.

It is gonna be strictly a tinkering system for the better part of the first half of this year; it'll be a well understood and supported board after that, comparable in ease of use as well as performance to popular ARM-based boards, thus accomplishing its objective of advancing the RISC-V community.
          Thanks very much for the feedback!

I guess I'll leave it for now, although it's still very tempting. Would greatly like to be able to have a viable non-x86, non-ARM solution for basic stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X