Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post
    very good lts-kernel release!
    I wish they make the 6.2 the LTS version, to get more performance improvements around BTRFS, Zstd and MGLRU!
    But if not, this will be a pretty good LTS release too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I wish they make the 6.2 the LTS version,
      I hope so too. Can't wait to disable icotl TIOCSTI with a mainline kernel, which will be possible with 6.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I wish they make the 6.2 the LTS version, to get more performance improvements around BTRFS, Zstd and MGLRU!
        But if not, this will be a pretty good LTS release too.
        Not to mention 6.2 light load and idle improvements, which should increase battery life and server / VM power efficiency. Android phones seem to move between LTS Kernels so that would mean getting these improvements far sooner than otherwise.

Comment

Debian is expected to start a freeze in January though so it would be nice if 6.1 was officially LTS so they had real incentive to pull it in instead of staying at 6.0.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Isn’t there a child’s birthday party you could be crashing? Much more joy to steal there.
            C'mon that was quite a funny comment. Once in a while it is refreshing to have such tongue in cheek/or plain satirically posts. I do really like the comments of skeevy.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They'll oxidize even further, become very brittle and start to disintegrate, and one day there will be nothing left but dust in the wind.
              That's why you use Hammerite!

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post

They haven't said it's LTS.
                it is the last stable kernel of the year - so it is tratitionally lts!
                Last edited by spiral_23; 12 December 2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

That's why you use Hammerite!
                  Only Rust-eze makes it possible!
                  latest?cb=20200717215936.png

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post

What problem do you have?
                    Everytime I install any 5.16+ kernel the machine will boot, get me to the login screen and from there things will get messy, basically networkmanager will be in D state making the desktop enviroment unusable (kde totally unusable, gnome a little better but anything related to network like settings will not work), then for reboot the machine will take at least 10 min because it cant stop 4 process (networkmanager, dnslocation, geoip, wpa_suplicant i think) and most of the time a hard reset is required. On linux 6.0 (tested the zen kernel) the issue does not happen as often as in 5.19- (on 5.19 the machine is so unusable that I cant even install endevour os cuz as soon as I start it the whole xfce DE become unresponsive) but it still happens. The issue does not happens on 5.15 although it used to happen that the wifi would stop sending and reciving data from time to time (already fixed from 5.15.18 onwards) after some investigation the conclusion was that the ath9k driver was crashing making networkmanager wait for an adapter it would never show up thus lagging the whole system with it (really surprised by the dependency of linux desktops on networkmanager/wifi, like if I have a wifi problem I expect the wifi not to work (gnome) not the whole desktop to feel laggy and unresponsive (kde) or unusable at all (xfce))

Comment

Quite excited about the Rust integration. Sadly, they are limited in where they are allowed to use it - would love to see some zero-copy APIs exposed to user-space.

Comment

Working...
                      X