OpenZFS 2.1.7 Released With Linux 6.0 Support, Many Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
    I have been on kernel 6.0 for a while already.
    Running zfs on Fedora, on kernel 6.0 for a while as well. dkms works generally well. Unfortunately, the Fedora package manager integration is borked. The dkms config gets corrupted with every zfs update. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often.

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
    Thus I am instead a btrfs user. Both file systems offer similar features (at least to my desktop use case, I'm not running RAID or building a NAS).
    Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I used ZFS on FreeBSD at home on a server and for a small business server for some years, before btrfs was stable, so when I started using desktop Linux again a few years ago, I chose to put everything on ZFS, and I don't regret it. On desktop I'm running Gentoo with root on OpenZFS and it works just fine, just might have to wait a few weeks for a newer kernel version sometimes, and for installation use an Ubuntu liveCD since it includes the ZFS utilities.

Thanks OpenZFS team for the great work.

Comment

I am using ZFS for years now. It is, simply said, awesome. Also I care about my files (that is why I also use ECC ram).

I wouldn't touch that unfinished, unstable, self-destroying btrfs crapfest with a 10 foot pole.

I used mdraid+some fs in the past. They can't hold a candle to zfs features and ease of use.

So thank you very much openzfs people. You made my life so much better.

Comment

I talked someone at my work that needed a NAS device to try a TrueNAS Mini from iXsystems, running the FreeBSD based TrueNAS CORE OS. I interacted with them in the past about the Linux and FreeBSD OpenZFS codebase merges before officially was released, and they were so helpful. Figured support them financially when the opportunity arose. Got a fast-track lesson in ZFS setting things up, but learned a lot fast, and pretty slick and easy once I figured it all out.

Comment

Nice, now i just have to wait until nixos catches up and i can put an Intel Arc A380 for media encoding inside my nas.

Comment

Working...
            X