Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Adding Wake-On-Connect/Disconnect For USB4 Ports

Phoronix: Linux Adding Wake-On-Connect/Disconnect For USB4 Ports

To the USB4/Thunderbolt driver in the Linux kernel Intel is adding support for system wake on connect/disconnect...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Up next: Wake-on-DIMM-hotplug and wake-on-CPU-hotplug. 🥳

Comment

Originally posted by hardfalcon View Post
      Up Next: Wake up CPU on buy by detecting a smell of money and run off of the little static electricity surrounding the plastic package.

Comment

Originally posted by hardfalcon View Post
        Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Up Next: Wake up CPU on buy by detecting a smell of money and run off of the little static electricity surrounding the plastic package.
        Previously: Wake-on-Bake​

Comment

intel: wake on cpu-as-a-service (CaaS) license expiration... and disable all...

Comment

Ugh, I hate how many different ways a computer can wake up by itself. Did you know they literally can just wake up for no reason at all? I had a Windows service just start waking my system up for no reason and had to disable that setting. Apparently some software can just run even in hibernate mode and wake up the system for any reason it wants. I can only imagine how many systems are going to start turning on by themselves and waste battery life because the flaky hardware rapidly detected a USB device disconnecting and reconnecting.

Comment

There's 2 ways I see this being useful...

1) wake on connecting an HID device would allow to wake on keypress or mouse click of a device which has been added. This is something most users would expect to work, and of course it wouldn't unless the system woke when the device was inserted.

2) wake on connecting a TPM device to unlock the system for access. Again a user would expect this to work if they suspended it, yanked the TPM to hardware-lock it, and expected to be able to wake the system and unlock it by inserting the TPM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                There's 2 ways I see this being useful...

1) wake on connecting an HID device would allow to wake on keypress or mouse click of a device which has been added. This is something most users would expect to work, and of course it wouldn't unless the system woke when the device was inserted.

2) wake on connecting a TPM device to unlock the system for access. Again a user would expect this to work if they suspended it, yanked the TPM to hardware-lock it, and expected to be able to wake the system and unlock it by inserting the TPM.
                Jokes aside, Wake on plugging in a USB-based monitor, power supply, or docking station was my first thought. You get home, plug/dock your stuff up, and it wakes up in power sucking desktop mode instead of energy saving portable mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  Apparently some software can just run even in hibernate mode and ...
                  How that is made? I'd like to run all my servers e.g. in AWS in that kind of mode and save money a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson View Post

How that is made? I'd like to run all my servers e.g. in AWS in that kind of mode and save money a lot.
                    Windows has what they call hybrid sleep mode -- it writes the ram to disk but keeps the power on to resume from standby. It's somewhere in-between hibernate and sleep mode and is supposed to use less power than sleep. I wouldn't know. I don't sleep or hibernate anything I own since shit turns on and off so fast these days.

Hybrid mode , like traditional standby, can wake stuff up, too. My first assumption is that's what they're actually using and not realizing it since, IIRC, that's the default option. My 2nd assumption is their UEFI has wake up abilities. My 3rd assumption, very closely related to the 2nd one, is they're on a network and receiving wake up packets. Based on the battery comment, my 4th assumption is that one of the above kicks in when the laptop is plugged into AC power and not battery only.

Comment

Working...
                    X