Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Released With Many Intel & AMD Driver Additions, IO_uring Keeps Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ffs_
    replied
    Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
    Linux 6.0 : Compiled, installed and very happy for office @ home, I use a ryzen 5950x and a 5850u. The difference between the last 5.19 and the 6.0 is significative.
    Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
    For example :
    Shadow of the tomb raider 3072*1728 full options on a ryzen 5950x / rx5700xt / mesa 22.2.0 / vulkan
    5.19.12 : 62 fps
    6.0.0 : 68 fps with less jerks

Firefox displays quicker, LibreOffice starts quicker, kernel compilation ... we'll see with 6.0.1
    Nice! I'm also gonna test 6.0 today then.

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Congratulations! 😁 Amazing, Linux went so far during my lifetime. My first Linux experience was Debian Woody when I was in college, it barely worked. Now, latest Debian, is just complete. I have everything I need and things never worked better, including comfortable work and gaming on two 4K monitors with 144Hz. 😍

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLief View Post
    So... Did rc7 become the official release? Or is kernel.org not updated yet?
    It is fairly trivial to look at the commit log, showing that (targeted) patches were applied after the rc7 tag. I did not see any patch that really mattered for the majority of my use cases, but, of course, your mileage will vary.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
    It's a little-big major version. I sincerely think that the best way to give a number to a version is the "Year.Month" pattern (like Linux 22.10)
    For something like a distro release, naming it based on the release date makes sense, not least because that's usually what the support window is tied to.

For a kernel, it's not. Some kernels stick around for a long time and continue to receive patches and backports. So, it would be somewhat misleading.

Leave a comment:

• TNZfr
    replied
    Originally posted by kozman View Post
    Seriously? More responsive or does it just "feel" like it's faster?
    Both in fact ... just try.
    I wonder about Virtualbox, I tell you later.

Edit : Virtualbox's working fine with Linux 6.0
    Last edited by TNZfr; 03 October 2022, 03:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TNZfr
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Any numbers?
    For example :
    Shadow of the tomb raider 3072*1728 full options on a ryzen 5950x / rx5700xt / mesa 22.2.0 / vulkan
    5.19.12 : 62 fps
    6.0.0 : 68 fps with less jerks

Firefox displays quicker, LibreOffice starts quicker, kernel compilation ... we'll see with 6.0.1
    Last edited by TNZfr; 03 October 2022, 01:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    It would be cool if at some point Linus did some podcasts and just reminisced about various Linux time periods or significant events, or social interactions, challenges and solutions -- I would watch the shit out of those, and they could provide important historical perspective too -- like the Lost Chapters of The Kernel.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
    when i saw that picture im like hmm, whos the fat lady on the right? ohhhhh shhiiiii....
    It's a standard belly nerd, a classic in computing. Tons of daily hours in front of a computer in a desk has certain aftermath.

Leave a comment:

• middy
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

The whole interchange between them was extremely awkward. No idea why Linus agreed to it.

Check it here: https://youtu.be/V3wE1wMIBXs?t=3747

It's like Pat wanted to cater to Linux users and it didn't work.
    doesn't come off awkward to me. comes off normal linus awkwardness to me.

side note, i love listening to stuff talking about the "old days of tech." cool hearing about the history.

Leave a comment:

• ATLief
    replied
    So... Did rc7 become the official release? Or is kernel.org not updated yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X