Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrayShade
    replied
    A minor data point: I think I tried IPP on my Brother HL-1210W once and was surprised to see I couldn't print anything. Is this something that will improve with time?

Leave a comment:

• mikefreeman
    replied
    IPP can't seem to access all of my printer's functions like the official ppd filter can. Isn't eliminating ppd and only using pure ipp going to cripple printer functionality compared to the current situation?

Leave a comment:

• ll1025
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

They'd better not be obsolescing my perfectly functional laser printers that I got for free because they don't have drivers for modern Windows.​
    There are also a number of enterprise situations where IT does not want to deal with a dozen protocols and the way they can crash the printer. I've seen a number of departments disable all protocols that aren't 9100, and having been a print admin myself I can't say I blame them.

IPP is also not STIG IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    CUPS 3.0 is a major architecture overhaul with moving away from PPD files and just relying on IPP Everywhere, splitting local printing from network printing support, and various other design improvements.
    They'd better not be obsolescing my perfectly functional laser printers that I got for free because they don't have drivers for modern Windows.​

Leave a comment:

• ll1025
    replied
    When it says the socket API == ipp for both the client and the server-- does this mean that 9100 / RAW printing is being deprecated?

Relying only on IPP seems terribly optimistic, there are many scenarios where that isn't going to cut it. I hope they're only talking about client-server comms.

Leave a comment:

• JEBjames
    replied
    Michael

grammar

"Michael Sweet took to Linux Plumbers Conference this week to reaffirm the work on CUPS 3.0 and the near-term 2.5 update."

should probably be

"Michael Sweet took to the Linux Plumbers Conference this week to reaffirm the work on CUPS 3.0 and the near-term 2.5 update."

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
    Good to see it being updated, it seems to have been fairly stagnant for years and years as far as I can tell, even when Apple developed it.
    Stagnated because Apple abandoned it.

Leave a comment:

• Davonious
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    My printer doesn't have proper Linux drivers (I thought it did, joke's on me), I wonder if any of these efforts will bring it back to like.
    A lot of printers in the past 10 years or so have Apple AirPrint support which means it probably supports the Apple Raster format (URF). The newer versions of CUPS have a 'rastertopwg' filter that converts Apple's URF to PWG (Printer Working Group)'s raster. It then sends that conversion directly to the printer, with no vendor-specific filters being involved. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    My printer doesn't have proper Linux drivers (I thought it did, joke's on me), I wonder if any of these efforts will bring it back to like.

Leave a comment:

• Vermilion
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Wasn't CUPS supposed to be dead and replaced by something else (can't remember the name)?
    If I understood correctly, PAPPL is a library to create printer applications that are used by CUPS instead of traditional drivers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X