PostgreSQL Optimizes Performance & Lower Memory Management Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL Optimizes Performance & Lower Memory Management Overhead

Phoronix: PostgreSQL Optimizes Performance & Lower Memory Management Overhead

An interesting commit made it into the open-source PostgreSQL database server this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some more good news from the elephant world: https://www.percona.com/blog/postgre...one-whats-new/

Comment

I wish they would fix the messy user space.
      PostgreSQL is now very functional and mature, they should fix the messy user space and focus on being user-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        PostgreSQL is now very functional and mature, they should fix the messy user space and focus on being user-friendly.
        User friendly databases...sounds like a unicorn being delivered to my mailbox today.

Comment

uid313, the job of a database server is to provide a high-quality experience over the socket interface. Client side tools (such as psql) as nice as they are, are all a side business to the main job of a dbms, namely serving the socket users...

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post

User friendly databases...sounds like a unicorn being delivered to my mailbox today.
            It could done by getting rid of all the pg_ tools and unifying everything under the "psql" tool. Having pretty formatting with colors, etc.

Originally posted by svennek View Post
            uid313, the job of a database server is to provide a high-quality experience over the socket interface. Client side tools (such as psql) as nice as they are, are all a side business to the main job of a dbms, namely serving the socket users...
            Yes, but I am sure the dbms is nice, but I think the surrounding tools are important too.

Comment

It could done by getting rid of all the pg_ tools and unifying everything under the "psql" tool. Having pretty formatting with colors, etc.

Yes, but I am sure the dbms is nice, but I think the surrounding tools are important too.
              Ah the good old situation where you either acquiesce to the status quo or try to take matters into your own hands and none of these 2 options is plausible.

Comment

Can you be any less detailed??? What exactly do you want to see changed?

Comment

I'm using psql in may daylight activities, and the last thing I want is having to pass it options like --porcelain --color=never in order to correctly do its job (as in: right how it operates now).

Fancy colors is really not needed

Right now, the only tool we wish was a bit more intelligent is pg_dump which is not able to propose a stable output over time (and this messes up our schema verification to the point that we really believe we should make our own tool, even though the development and maintenance costs are quite high). So if someone would come up with a solution, that would be quite nice

Writing a libpq wrapper (psql is a bit more complex than that, but not by much) is quite easy. If you think you have good ideas on how such a tool should operate, may I suggest you to create it?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Can you be any less detailed??? What exactly do you want to see changed?
                    • clusterdb
                    • createdb
                    • createuser
                    • dropdb
                    • dropuser
                    • pg_amcheck
                    • pg_basebackup
                    • pg_config
                    • pg_dump
                    • pg_dumpall
                    • pg_isready
                    • pg_receivewal
                    • pg_recvlogical
                    • pg_restore
                    • pg_verifybackup
                    • reindexdb
                    • vacuumdb​
                    I want all of these files to have the pg_ prefix, not just some of them. Better yet, move everything into under a "pg" or "psql" binary, just like Git.

Comment

Working...
                    X