Linux 6.0 Allows Setting The Hostname Via New "hostname=" Parameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.0 Allows Setting The Hostname Via New "hostname=" Parameter

Phoronix: Linux 6.0 Allows Setting The Hostname Via New "hostname=" Parameter

A patch coming about earlier this year allows setting the system's hostname before user-space starts by way of the hostname= kernel parameter. That patch has now landed as part of Andrew Morton's accumulated changes for Linux 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The most important newsworthy feature ever, ...

Comment

What is this good for?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        What is this good for?
        The article describes a case involving multi machine RAID setups. Previous discussions also brought up certain imbeded and server use cases.

Comment

Honestly shocking that Linu$ doesn't understand how use the revert feature of his own version control system. Linux development should have stopped 20 years when it was at it's peak, and now it's just a shell of the glory it once was... back in those days you could basically run an entire OS on shell scripts alone, now it's all delegated to CODE and that's just not Unix. To top it off this is being done to enable people to do something completely ridiculous and pointless like using RAID? Maybe they should have their contribution privileges revoked*

*Author has never submitted a contribution to the Linux kernel nor even submitted a bug report in the nearly 20 year usage of Linux

Comment

I suppose this could be a convenient way to hand out hostnames for diskless systems that boot over networks.

Comment

This will be super useful for network booting, virtual machines, and some embedded use cases.

Comment

But... but... that's too complicated!

I've been assured that stuff like "type the hostname into a file" is far too much for anyone to cope with. Now we have to do that *and* deal with GRUB? I don't see how anyone could possibly manage this! :P

Comment

Originally posted by phoenk View Post
                  This will be super useful for network booting, virtual machines, and some embedded use cases.
                  Yeah, I'm guessing cluster / cloud operators are the audience for this. Large numbers of VMs created on-demand with by cluster management tools, setting the hostname as part of creation... the VM itself is likely stateless and maybe immutable, so configuring them from inside the OS is a pain.

Comment

I know lets change the hostname of this machine. What could possibly go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X