No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Promotes Its H.265/HEVC User-Space API To Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame I can't get it encoding with the AMD AMF drivers. Only does x264... (265 is a option but it fails)

I wonder if RDNA3 / RTX40 cards will support hardware AV1?¿ They better!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I wonder if RDNA3 / RTX40 cards will support hardware AV1?¿ They better![/I]
      I'll put money on "sure: but at best only as simple encoders". Even with GPU transistor count in the billions, you just can't afford to waste the sort of area that the assorted guessing algos of modern codecs depend on.

To put that another way: it's really easy to implement h264 veryfast on a chip. (Well, really easy for people who do this sort of thing for a living. :P). It's basically impossible to implement h265 veryslow on one. So, yeah, you'll get what's technically a hardware AV1 encoder: it's just that the only options you'll have (if any) are "output quality on par with dial-up era pr0n" or "basically the same bandwidth use as h264".

Okay, I take that back: I expect there'll be a "something something Deep Learning OMG AI!!1!" option as well, but....

Comment

Originally posted by Cryio View Post
        4K H.264 works fine.
        4K H.265 is doing CPU decoding.

Any ideas anyone?
        Just tried VLC (with settings reset to default) with my i5-8265U and hardware decoding for h264, h265, VC-1 and VP9 works for me.
        (Also checked with intel-gpu-top).

Make sure to also try with different h.265 Videos, perhaps there is something in your video-file that VLC doesn't like and therefore falls back to software decoding.

Also test with the mpv videoplayer. (mpv --hwdec=auto videofilename)

Comment

HEVC has been working for some time now. You need FFMPEG from RMP Fusion Non-Free and HuC/GuC enabled.

Runs flawlessly now on Ice Lake gfx 11.

Comment

Working...
          X