Linux 6.0 To Disable Printing On Consoles With Real-Time Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
    First they take away the scrollback, now they take away the console completely... Every day linux inches towards being windows...
    As long as it's picking up the good features of windows, all the better.

Comment

That's fine, make RT wait then... they waited this long, what's another six months even if they don't contribute to the console fixes?
      Don't use it then for the god sake. Is someone forcing you to enable RT? Maybe others care more about RT and they can live without console.

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
        I never new scrollback existed until recently. I think they removed it for security reasons though.
        i use it regularily since redhat 5 (not rhel). from what i ve read, they removed it because it was unmaintained complex code. now i m mostly in a gnome terminal i dont care most of the time, but when i m in full console, i regret the missing feature, it s not the same than running in a screen session... shift+pgup

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
          i use it regularily since redhat 5 (not rhel). from what i ve read, they removed it because it was unmaintained complex code. now i m mostly in a gnome terminal i dont care most of the time, but when i m in full console, i regret the missing feature, it s not the same than running in a screen session... shift+pgup
          Wasn't only the accelerated version that was removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Don't use it then for the god sake. Is someone forcing you to enable RT? Maybe others care more about RT and they can live without console.
            Do the first couple of posters in this thread even know what RT is for?
            Wow I can't wait to use the terminal in my factory robot.
            Please Linux let me run cowsay on my CNC machine's microcontroller!

Comment

Nope, Shift-PageUp doesn't work anymore for me for quite a while. Which is very unpleasant, because it was a nice way to check the boot messages that scroll past way too quickly (I still boot to console on my gentoo installations and manually type startx). Or if X doesn't work and you want to read all output that your package manager spit out on the console after an attempt to solve tge X problems by updating ...

Comment

the AV production crowd say RT is a necessity on linux... I hope you don't run into a kernel panic or init problem on boot, because you'd never see what the issue is without a serial console.
                There is the CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC build option, which, if set, allows you to specify preempt= as a kernel boot parameter and choose the preemption mode. It currently knows "none", "voluntary" and "full". Assuming that "rt" might be added (and I don't know if it will), then, upon experiencing a panic on boot, you could just reboot with a different preemption mode in which here console isn't disabled and (hopefully) see something, provided the problem exhibits itself on non-RT.

Comment

Maybe they should re-add scroll back with a kernel boot-time parameter?

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
                    Maybe they should re-add scroll back with a kernel boot-time parameter?
                    I recall scrollback being removed because it was old unmaintained spaghetti code. Not due to any limitations, it was just a mess that most people didn't use and the maintainers just wanted it gone. There should be articles detailing it on this site, you might be able to find some to see for yourself. I believe the real issue with scrollback is that nobody's come up with a better solution that satisfies the maintainers.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                      Nope, Shift-PageUp doesn't work anymore for me for quite a while. Which is very unpleasant, because it was a nice way to check the boot messages that scroll past way too quickly (I still boot to console on my gentoo installations and manually type startx). Or if X doesn't work and you want to read all output that your package manager spit out on the console after an attempt to solve tge X problems by updating ...
                      Yeah, it's boot spew that's the problem here. Once the machine is up and running you can just use screen to provide the scrollback, but during boot you're *utterly screwed*.

Under different circumstances, Linus wouldn't have reacted so dramatically. Nobody's maintained that code in years now and it's pretty crufty, so he didn't really have a choice unless someone took it over. (Thought a patch to just disable screen resizing would have been a lot easier and impacted fewer users, but that didn't show up either).

Since someone is obviously going to have to fix the vt bugs to be able to cope with this, maybe they'll restore scrollback while they're at it.
                      Last edited by arQon; 05 August 2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X