LVFS Has Served More Than 52 Million Firmware Files To Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Has Served More Than 52 Million Firmware Files To Linux Users

Phoronix: LVFS Has Served More Than 52 Million Firmware Files To Linux Users

It was just March of last year that the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) served up a total of 25 million firmware downloads to Linux users for updating their system firmware and peripheral devices supporting Fwupd. Just over one year later it has successfully served more than 52 million downloads!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any chance that Samsung firmware for SDD / NVMe drives will get added one day?
    Last time I checked, updating the NVMe firmware on a Samsung drive seemed like a huge pain.

Comment

hope someday we can update Asus/Gigabyte bios with lvfs

Comment

Kudos to Richard and the LVFS community - it's an absolutely fantastic project and their work is amazing.

castlefox - there's a bunch of Samsung NVME devices for both Lenovo and Dell devices supported on there. https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=Samsung

Comment

Originally posted by markpearson View Post
          Kudos to Richard and the LVFS community - it's an absolutely fantastic project and their work is amazing.

castlefox - there's a bunch of Samsung NVME devices for both Lenovo and Dell devices supported on there. https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=Samsung
          If you buy one classic of the shelf it will not work (e.g. 860, 970, Pro, Plus what soever).
          Even the OEM versions mentioned in the in the Support list will not work for the majority.
          Unfortunately this are the "branded" OEM Samsung drives.

PM9A1 is basically a 980 Pro just a bit cheaper. You can buy them easily from New Egg etc. BUT they have a different Product Code which makes it impossible to Flash with the distributed Lenovo or Dell Firmware. Even considering that they are built identically. Also the classic flashing process without LVFS does not allow any forced mode to ignore the different prod codes.

example PM9A1 - 512GB: available version at New Egg.

MZVL2512HCJQ-00B00
          ...............^ ..................^
          .......Size in GB ........curcial part for e.g. Lenovo it is L7 instead of 00
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 June 2022, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
            My hope is that as LVFS support gets mandatory for Chromebooks, this will force Samsung to properly join. Since some OEMs like Dell and Lenovo can already distribute some Samsung firmware through LVFS, this means that the code for doing it already exists, so it is "just" a matter of Samsung accepting to relinquish control on firmware updates (and stopping this idiotic posture that some drives can be updated on Linux while some others can not, depending if they see it as pro or consumer device).

Comment

Originally posted by bavay View Post

My hope is that as LVFS support gets mandatory for Chromebooks, this will force Samsung to properly join. Since some OEMs like Dell and Lenovo can already distribute some Samsung firmware through LVFS, this means that the code for doing it already exists, so it is "just" a matter of Samsung accepting to relinquish control on firmware updates (and stopping this idiotic posture that some drives can be updated on Linux while some others can not, depending if they see it as pro or consumer device).
              according markpearson s link Samsung "Is uploading firmware on behalf of other vendors"

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

If you buy one classic of the shelf it will not work (e.g. 860, 970, Pro, Plus what soever).
                Even the OEM versions mentioned in the in the Support list will not work for the majority.
                Unfortunately this are the "branded" OEM Samsung drives.

PM9A1 is basically a 980 Pro just a bit cheaper. You can buy them easily from New Egg etc. BUT they have a different Product Code which makes it impossible to Flash with the distributed Lenovo or Dell Firmware. Even considering that they are built identically. Also the classic flashing process without LVFS does not allow any forced mode to ignore the different prod codes.

example PM9A1 - 512GB: available version at New Egg.

MZVL2512HCJQ-00B00
                ...............^ ..................^
                .......Size in GB ........curcial part for e.g. Lenovo it is L7 instead of 00
                I did not know what OEM versions of Samsung drives might be supported. Sadly the Samsung 980 I purchased off the self and installed myself. If I had known how much of a pain it would be to install firmware on the drive I would have selected a different NVMe.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
                  Last time I checked, updating the NVMe firmware on a Samsung drive seemed like a huge pain.
                  That too, and also Kingston. They are listed, but only with 2 ID's. My Kingston from last year isn't listed.

Comment

It also seems to be difficult to spoof the process:

https://lvfs.readthedocs.io/en/lates...dor-provenance

Comment

Working...
                    X