Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS With Linux 5.19 Brings "Lots Of New Code"

Phoronix: XFS With Linux 5.19 Brings "Lots Of New Code"

The XFS file-system updates for the Linux 5.19 merge window are on the heavier side with this pull being described as "a big update with lots of new code" abound for this summer 2022 kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using XFS since RHEL switched to it by-default on the root partition and have been pleased with it! I don't do any advanced management or recovery, but I do root partitions with XFS with Fedora and openSUSE and my NAS drives with it and haven't lost data afaik

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
      I've been using XFS since RHEL switched to it by-default on the root partition and have been pleased with it! I don't do any advanced management or recovery, but I do root partitions with XFS with Fedora and openSUSE and my NAS drives with it and haven't lost data afaik
      I use BTRFS by default almost everywhere , but I have set aside a 80gb partition for XFS. It is a rather antiquated talk now, but for those interested look up Dave Chinners 10 year old talk about XFS from some 2012 ago (https://youtu.be/FegjLbCnoBw). I wish Dave did a new talk about the current state of XFS again.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Been using XFS as the brick FS for a couple of production glusterfs systems now for several years. Its worked out very well! Also deployed it for an onsite server for a friend recently on top of LVM2 on SSDs... was blown away by how fast it is!

Comment

Recently my XFS got corrupted by a bad case on a TV, renamed and deleted something while I guess I didn't close off network hanldes, I tried recovering, won't find any superblocks ... but data is not overwritten so IDK, maybe these XFS improvements bring more recovery options and tools. Otherwise I'm going to have to manually recover file by file ... bleh, good thing there's only a few different file formats and most files are large.

Comment

Originally posted by Retramon View Post
            Recently my XFS got corrupted by a bad case on a TV, renamed and deleted something while I guess I didn't close off network hanldes, I tried recovering, won't find any superblocks ... but data is not overwritten so IDK, maybe these XFS improvements bring more recovery options and tools. Otherwise I'm going to have to manually recover file by file ... bleh, good thing there's only a few different file formats and most files are large.
            And this my friends (and foes) are precisely the reason why you need (tested) backups for your important data for all kinds of filesystems no matter if it is called XFS, EXT4, ZFS, BTRFS, F2FS etc.. etc...so before someone shouts out "look, XFS failed!" remember that Murphys Law rocks all day long and all filesystems (and backups) can fail.

...speaking of , if anything that can go wrong will go wrong Murphy's law actually have to be wrong at some point too - meaning that sometimes things will never go wrong, but are you willing to take the chance?! Backup your valuable data!!!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

And this my friends (and foes) are precisely the reason why you need (tested) backups for your important data for all kinds of filesystems no matter if it is called XFS, EXT4, ZFS, BTRFS, F2FS etc.. etc...so before someone shouts out "look, XFS failed!" remember that Murphys Law rocks all day long and all filesystems (and backups) can fail.

...speaking of , if anything that can go wrong will go wrong Murphy's law actually have to be wrong at some point too - meaning that sometimes things will never go wrong, but are you willing to take the chance?! Backup your valuable data!!!
              100% true! I used to not care much... but then I was young and didn't actually have data to care much about.

Comment

Excellent news. Been using Xfs for years. It's a very stable and fast filesystem. Everytime btrfs stuffs up I go back to Xfs. I see a couple distros using it over btrfs by default now too. Thanks Devs this and zfs are the only 2 filesystems I trust with power failures.

Comment

Working...
                X