PAPPL 1.2 Released With Full Localization Support, More IPP Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAPPL 1.2 Released With Full Localization Support, More IPP Features

Phoronix: PAPPL 1.2 Released With Full Localization Support, More IPP Features

PAPPL as the free software project started by CUPS founder Michael Sweet after departing Apple more than two years ago, this C-based framework/library for creating CUPS Printer Applications is out with a major feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since this is just a library for others to build apps, I'm guessing the release isn't that interesting for end-users.
    Is there a list of apps making use of PAPPL atm?

Comment

To be honest, confused on how all this works, but as someone who helps people set up printers once in a while, I have noticed increasingly on newer versions of macOS and supported printers that the recommend path is doing so via AirPrint, and things seem to just work without specific drivers needed. Seems to simplify things. I am guessing this (PAPPL) sort of fits in things going in this direction, though admittedly I am still trying to understand it all better. But seems to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        To be honest, confused on how all this works, but as someone who helps people set up printers once in a while, I have noticed increasingly on newer versions of macOS and supported printers that the recommend path is doing so via AirPrint, and things seem to just work without specific drivers needed. Seems to simplify things. I am guessing this (PAPPL) sort of fits in things going in this direction, though admittedly I am still trying to understand it all better. But seems to work well.
        From the pappl website:

"PAPPL is a simple C-based framework/library for developing CUPS Printer Applications, which are the recommended replacement for printer drivers."

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Since this is just a library for others to build apps, I'm guessing the release isn't that interesting for end-users.
          Is there a list of apps making use of PAPPL atm?
          From the snapcraft store (and probably your Linux distro's native packages, too):
          • ghostscript-printer-app
          • gutenprint-printer-app
          • hp-printer-app
          • hplip-printer-app
          • lprint
          • ps-printer-app
          Basically, you use PAPPL to make (small) printer driver replacement applications to support your old (non-AirPrint/IPP Everywhere/Mopria) printers.

Comment

Originally posted by printman View Post

From the snapcraft store (and probably your Linux distro's native packages, too):
            • ghostscript-printer-app
            • gutenprint-printer-app
            • hp-printer-app
            • hplip-printer-app
            • lprint
            • ps-printer-app
            Basically, you use PAPPL to make (small) printer driver replacement applications to support your old (non-AirPrint/IPP Everywhere/Mopria) printers.
            Ha, maybe there's still hope for my Brother then.

Comment

Working...
            X