Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Disabling Raw Access To Floppy Disks "FDRAWCMD" By Default

Phoronix: Linux DIsabling Raw Access To Floppy Disks "FDRAWCMD" By Default

It's been a rough year for floppy disk support on Linux and goes to show the state of seldom maintained to unmaintained code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the SPA finally got Linux to work against piracy!
    https://www.rifftrax.com/sites/defau...POSTER%202.JPG
    FLOPPY%20POSTER%202.jpg

Comment

Linux a shit.

I am disgusted at this trend of pointlessly removing support for hardware they deem "obsolete".

Comment

Valid use cases for FDRAWCMD:

- DOSBox
        - UAE
        - Potentially any other old system emulator

Also Michael​​​​​​​ can you link the article to the "add a comment" option? It doesn't seem to be linked.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

- DOSBox
          - UAE

Also Michael​​​​​​​ can you link the article to the "add a comment" option? It doesn't seem to be linked.
          Pretty much the only valid usecase for a real floppy disk controller/drive today is for system emulation and especially for archival of software. USB floppy drives are pretty useless due to lacking raw access for anything other than MS-DOS archival, and even then. I've got some floppy disks with some old extremely rare Acorn games in need of archival and am planning on buying an old drive from ebay, if I can't find one of my old ones... think they must have all been thrown out.. :-(

I've even looked at the possibility of designing a floppy disk controller interface for recent floppy controller-less systems with the 20-1 TPM (LPC bus) interface and an LPC-ISA bridge chip.
          Last edited by s_j_newbury; 27 April 2022, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

- DOSBox
            - UAE

Michael link is still broken

Comment

Working...
            X