Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If they're named after their founders then MicroSoft sure does explain the divorce.
    Microsoft got rid of Gates, but still holds Windows ;-)

Comment

If they're named after their founders then MicroSoft sure does explain the divorce.
      I was talking about companies who were named after their founders. Microsoft obviously isn't, but a lot of them are. C&A, H&M, Gucci, Mazda, Marshall, IKEA (part of the name anyway), ConEd, Opel, Siemens, etc. None of them are ran by relatives of the original founders, so let's change all of their names to give credit to the current owners of those companies. Right?

Comment

BTW, are you talking of Microsoft-Gates divorce? Or Melinda-Gates divorce? (because of Bill being often Epstein's parties guest ;-)

Isn't using Windows immoral then?

Comment

The technical comments in this thread were interesting to read. Thank you to the commenters that mentioned those details.

I agree with those that say this FS ought to change it's name to something else. Then the LKML can (and should) focus on code quality and not something else if the renamed FS wants to be included in the kernel.

And the distracting comments bringing up the history of the original developer... they are so OFF TOPIC that they contribute nothing but NOISE to this thread... like having birdie inject their particular POV on things.

As for my own personal/home use with this FS... Yes, I used it (Version3, I think) in the past when I was also evaluating how JFS and XFS worked. Of those 3 FS I think I used this FS the longest, a few months, before I decided upon running ext4+Raid5 to address my storage needs. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
            Actually the 90% developers that don't want anything to do with it is not because of the murder, that happened long before due to Hans being an outright difficult person to discuss things with, the flame wars on LKML between him and the other kernel devs where long and hard.
            There have always been strong willed (difficult) individuals in the Linux and greater open source community, but most importantly Hans was not interested (willing) to change the filesystem source to the (then current) kernel coding standards. Not only have those standards themselves moved on, there is also the expectation that new filesystems (and for that matter, most substantial features) will have sufficient (typically corporate) backing to insure that it will be properly maintained no matter that individuals may no longer be available, making the entire work package to mainline even larger at this point.

The murder was just the final straw that broke the camels back.
            The collapse of Hans' company (namesys) after his conviction pretty much ended the availability of any substantial resources to do the work that would be needed to even consider mainlining.

Comment

I wonder if anyone not buying Ford, because it is named after Henry Ford who was Anti-Semitist.

Comment

I hope it'll be boycotted until he changes that damn name.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  Partition my wife
                  Just as tasteless and crude the first 1,000 times I heard it...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Why can't we have a nice conversation about the file system?
                    Because of the Name(sys). And, also, because some rats want to crawl out of the woodwork and die on Hans Reiser Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
                      I wonder if anyone not buying Ford, because it is named after Henry Ford who was Anti-Semitist.
                      I can think of a lot of reasons not to buy a Ford but non was that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X