X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shmerl
    replied
    Is there some easy way to check that P-state driver is being used? I know how to check that UEFI supports it at least.

Leave a comment:

• moriel5
    replied
    Originally posted by er888kh View Post

I am not a native speaker, but this is what I think:
    - Brown paper is just some cheap paper you wrap other stuff with
    - Fodder is some low quality food that cannot be consumed by people, so it is fed to livestock

So my guess is:
    "There were some easy to fix bugs that would be solved after rc7; if it wasn't for the rc8, they would have been fixed (some trivial and boring fixes) in the first stable release. And they were not important or interesting bugs at all."
    Thanks, I remembered that "fodder" had to do with food, however I could not remember the context.
    Your explanation certainly makes sense (and is similar to my assumption of the meaning of the quote).

Leave a comment:

• er888kh
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Huh? I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe it is some idiom I don't know, but I'm utterly confused.

I am a native Swedish speaker (Torvalds native language). Though I speak mainland Swedish, not Finland Swedish (there are subtle differences). That doesn't help decode this. And I don't speak Finnish at all.
    I am not a native speaker, but this is what I think:
    - Brown paper is just some cheap paper you wrap other stuff with
    - Fodder is some low quality food that cannot be consumed by people, so it is fed to livestock

So my guess is:
    "There were some easy to fix bugs that would be solved after rc7; if it wasn't for the rc8, they would have been fixed (some trivial and boring fixes) in the first stable release. And they were not important or interesting bugs at all."

Leave a comment:

• moriel5
    replied
    Vorpal cl333r I believe that "fodder" means food (or perhaps prey? English isn't my native language, however I did live in the US during part of my childhood), so perhaps food for the horses?

I would hazard a guess that the point is that something might not be as worth doing as it originally seems, or something similar to that.

Leave a comment:

• numasan
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

And what does "stable fodder" mean?
    Probably the comments about how many bugs there are in the stable release?

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post
    it's something like this

And what does "stable fodder" mean?

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    it's something like this

A programming bug that is so stupid that it makes the programmer want to put a brown paper bag over his head.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

Huh? I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe it is some idiom I don't know, but I'm utterly confused.

I am a native Swedish speaker (Torvalds native language). Though I speak mainland Swedish, not Finland Swedish (there are subtle differences). That doesn't help decode this. And I don't speak Finnish at all.
    Could also be that Torvalds has been in the US for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied

I assume it's a reference to brown paper bags, but I don't get it either.

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    avoid some brown-paper bugs that would otherwise have been stable fodder

Leave a comment:

Working...
X