Rust Patches For The Linux Kernel Updated A Fifth Time With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
    I think it is a problem, but not a show stopper. While end-users generally don't build the kernel, kernel developers do and the do so in a cycle, possibly many times a day. The longer the cycle takes, the slower the development.
    Rust is really fast to compile if you're not asking for a "release" build. You only need those towards the end of the development cycle anyway.
    At the same time, slower compile times without pulling your hair trying to pin down that elusive race condition, can can still mean faster development.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      at this point, if you're a C programmer, you also need to be a Rust programmer now. It's unavoidable to all but the simple one-man hobbyist projects.
      It's quite opposite. Rust has not reached nowhere near that market share in the actual IT industry to be a "requirement" for a C programmer to know. And it's precisely hobbyist projects and specific FOSS projects which would require to know RUST for being part of.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

It's quite opposite. Rust has not reached nowhere near that market share in the actual IT industry to be a "requirement" for a C programmer to know. And it's precisely hobbyist projects and specific FOSS projects which would require to know RUST for being part of.
        But, it's about to be in Linux, the open source project.
        You're correct at the moment, but probably won't be in a few years. The amount of corporations desperate to adopt it (or have already adopted it) is astronomical. Amazon already made a blog post stating their express goal to rewrite all their software in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
          And it's precisely hobbyist projects and specific FOSS projects which would require to know RUST for being part of.
          You would be surprised. Companies that used to use C/C++ quite often start new projects in Rust now. It seems to be easier to find a job in Rust than in C at the moment.

Comment

Amazon already made a blog post stating their express goal to rewrite all their software in Rust.
            Link? They've certainly put out blog posts praising Rust and declaring their adoption of it, but I don't remember seeing that one, and google isn't giving it to me straight off. Would be good to have on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Link? They've certainly put out blog posts praising Rust and declaring their adoption of it, but I don't remember seeing that one, and google isn't giving it to me straight off. Would be good to have on hand.
              I linked it previously (as a named link so I can understand missing it) but here you go: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensou...ity-with-rust/

Comment

I linked it previously (as a named link so I can understand missing it) but here you go: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensou...ity-with-rust/
                I think you may have been misled by this:

In fact, the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG), the nonprofit that supports the Let’s Encrypt project, the Certificate Authority for 260 million websites, has a goal to move all internet security sensitive infrastructure to memory safe languages. The projects underway include support for Rust in the Linux kernel and migrating curl to Rust implementations of TLS and HTTP.
                Note this talks about the ISRG, not about Amazon. The article itself does show a strong commitment to Rust from Amazon, but not necessarily means (and does not state) they plan to rewrite all their software in it.

Comment

Working...
                X