Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Hop Hops To Top-Level Project Status

Phoronix: Apache Hop Hops To Top-Level Project Status

After starting off in development more than two decades ago as Kettle, Apache Hop in its current form has now made it to being an Apache Software Foundation top-level project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another visual programming tool...

Comment

ETL means 'Extract Transform Load' and is more than just simply programming, it's used for data management. It can be used to periodically copy and munge data from your OLTP to an analytical data warehouse, and do it according to rules, and do it the same way everytime.

Comment

I thought that was a logo for HTOP.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          Another visual programming tool...
          But this one is "lightweight". Of all things

Comment

I'm guessing many of you have never worked in IT. This is not a tool for your home computer. This is used by an IT developer to design on their desktop and deploy to the database server. You may view it as lightweight, but it's a key part of providing reporting to upper management.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
              I'm guessing many of you have never worked in IT. This is not a tool for your home computer. This is used by an IT developer to design on their desktop and deploy to the database server. You may view it as lightweight, but it's a key part of providing reporting to upper management.
              lol, that's a tool for users not for developers who will be required to build a plugin for it or replace it the moment a non-trivial business request is made.
              It's Java with a long pom so it's not lightweight (not graalvm-native compatible) by any measure. Java is fast, memory-safe, and likely there is no log4j in the long pom tree because Apache avoids such bloatware but it still has xerces 2+ times (because the JVM still opts for code duplication over upstream PRs).

I'm sure it fits the needs of some people it's just not ideal and visual programming tools while cool tend to not get much market shere. Sure I'm making this comment with and other web WYSIWYGs which are popular but they get thrown out for most web design and only used for comments and other trivial content addition.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                I'm sure it fits the needs of some people it's just not ideal and visual programming tools while cool tend to not get much market shere. Sure I'm making this comment with and other web WYSIWYGs which are popular but they get thrown out for most web design and only used for comments and other trivial content addition.
                I'm not sure I see what the web has to do with etl. The main vendors in this space are Microsoft, SAP and Oracle (I'm sure there are others). It's been available for about 15 years. I've used both SAP and Microsoft versions, and they are both visual. Only developers are allowed to use the SAP version, and are required to be registered as a developer with SAP's OSS. Microsoft has tried to open it up for lower level users, and I've seen them muck it up pretty bad. If Apache can cross that bridge, more power to them.

Comment

Working...
                X