Linux 5.16 Released With Many Intel & AMD Additions, Memory Folios, AMX, FUTEX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
    Apparently Valve and Collabora have been consistently funneling their efforts towards implementing and upstreaming futex_waitv for some time now, and apparently they know what they're doing since, due to their previous efforts, Wine has already transitioned from a mostly useless theoretical concept to a workable solution that's bound to change the Linux ecosystem; which means that apparently futex_waitv is already a good solution (predictable, since it's an evolution of the fsync concept and fsync is already good for many games, despite what that Wine dev was trying to say).

So apparently we should maybe start treating Valve and Collabora as the authorities-that-be on Wine development in place of the original Wine team, because the former apparently care about evolving Wine into a proper real-world solution that solves real-world use cases (even if they only care due to their desire to make it into a profitable product) while the latter are apparently growing more and more comparable to the GNU purists, systemd haters and the various other anachronistic entities that plague Linux these days. If we relied on them and their concepts of what's worthy to be merged and what isn't, we'd still be "playing" DX11 games in single digit framerates. Bah.

Please, do note that the bitter sarcasm is aimed not at you but at the Wine devs. Back when I told you (don't know if you remember our discussion) that I wasn't expecting futex_waitv support to be merged in Wine before at least both kernel 5.16 and Wine 7.0 were out of the door, I certainly wasn't expecting for it to be blocked from being merged indefinitely by the Wine devs due to Reasons™ - i.e. just as they've done with DXVK.
    Don't you think you're being a bit unfair? Codeweavers is not stopping anybody from using Wine in any way shape or form. Including patching in whatever people would like to patch.

Why do you think Valve's or Collabora's goals have to align exactly with Codeweavers?

Wine is where it is and proton was made possible due to Codeweavers and the Wine developers decades long work.

Wine is perfect? no, so what?, as I've said nothing is stopping anybody from patching Wine to support anything, what one can't expect is developers submitting to your wimps.

I haven't read much about the futex_waitv situation, just posts here in phoronix, so won't comment on details.

Regarding DXVK is a very narrow and specific solution to a specific problem, even its author has said multiple times it doesn't cover all what Wine DirectX implementation covers, it only cares about making games fast and that it is a mess he would like to not have to maintain. And like above, can you point to the Wine developers trying to prevent or stop people using DXVK?

Why the bitter sarcasm? Why the bullshit about GNU purists? What are you on about?

If this is trolling I give you a 4 out of 10.

Comment

The funniest thing about open source in general and Linux in particular is that it's so much more popular in Russia than anywhere else.

Consider the opennet.ru website where the news piece for this kernel release has already seen 166 comments vs just 20 here despite Phoronix being an international website for the entire world.

And this doesn't include LOR where the news is yet to be published (they normally quickly follow opennet.ru but not today for some reasons).

Comment

So they beat OpenMandriva this time? (normally, we have that one person on Phoronix commenting that package xyz has been updated in OM 5 minutes after it's been released)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So they beat OpenMandriva this time? (normally, we have that one person on Phoronix commenting that package xyz has been updated in OM 5 minutes after it's been released)
          Nothing beats Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Wonderful, this is an amazing release!
            Too bad Canonical will find again some excuse to not use it for the next Ubuntu version.
            5.16 in 22.04 sure would be great, but 5.17 would've been more great as it also contains a lot of network improvements. Not only end-users, but also companies running 22.04 LTS would love that.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              The funniest thing about open source in general and Linux in particular is that it's so much more popular in Russia than anywhere else.
              Consider the opennet.ru website where the news piece for this kernel release has already seen 166 comments vs just 20 here despite Phoronix being an international website for the entire world.
              And this doesn't include LOR where the news is yet to be published (they normally quickly follow opennet.ru but not today for some reasons).
              maybe we have some new marketshare numbers but last time i checked it germany had the highest marketshare in linux compared to windows and macos...

so please show me marketshare numbers that proof the point that russia is at NR1 place in opensource/linux usage...
              Last edited by qarium; 10 January 2022, 03:33 PM.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

maybe we have some new marketshare numbers but last time i checked it germany had the highest marketshare in linux compared to windows and macos...

so please show me marketshare numbers that proof the point that russia is at NR1 place in opensource/linux usage...
                There exists no such reliable numbers, all that one can do is look at web site statistics but even that is not giving an accurate picture.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  There exists no such reliable numbers, all that one can do is look at web site statistics but even that is not giving an accurate picture.
                  right but last time i checked germany had the highest marketshare of linux if you watch web site statistics...
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

right but last time i checked germany had the highest marketshare of linux if you watch web site statistics...
                    Are you blind or are you blind?

Germany:

Russia:

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've always wondered about Linux's high adoption rate in Russia. Is there some kind of all-of-country push to use it?

Comment

Working...
                      X