Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.16's Great Features Include FUTEX2, Folios, AMD Rembrandt, Intel AMX & Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.16's Great Features Include FUTEX2, Folios, AMD Rembrandt, Intel AMX & Much More

Phoronix: Linux 5.16's Great Features Include FUTEX2, Folios, AMD Rembrandt, Intel AMX & Much More

After a quiet holiday period the Linux 5.16 kernel is set to be introduced as stable this Sunday. Here is a look at the sixteen most exciting features to find with Linux 5.16...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two questions. Maybe someone care to enlighten me?

1. Are we done with the IOMMU(2) problems on AMD mobile/embedded units come Rembrandt?
    2. Realtek WiFi. Is that driver going to be like the usual Realtek state of things?

Comment

It's funny... I had IOMMU issues trying 5.16-rc8 today on Intel, with a HP Microserver Gen8 - it started throwing "DMAR: ERROR: DMA PTE for vPFN 0xf1f7f already set" (to X not Y, where they are different). I think this patch may be helping, even though it purports to be for when the X and Y are the same, but I may just be lucky with this restart - as always, best to wait a few 'stable' revisions if it's an important system.
      Last edited by GreenReaper; 06 January 2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Should really mention vulkan venus. it will be massive for Chromebook users. and qemu users who don't only emulate windows.

it is IMO the biggest piece of news with the new kernel. and with some patches that are working on getting venus virgl to work within windows and Mac guests, it is big.

Comment

Michael

Kinda related to FUTEX2 goodness:

How about a new Vulkan game with a built-in benchmark to go with it? (With some possible caveats, though):

Now, possible issues:

- Will be Windows-only, obviously.

- Game won't be available on Steam, only Uplay & Epic Games Store, so no official support from Proton & no entry in ProtonDB.

- No idea if the benchmark can be automated.

- 85 GB is quite the size for a benchmark.

I think the best bet would be if you could get in touch with them and ask nicely if you could get access only to the benchmark in a standalone package.

Also add that this would equal free advertisement for their game for years to come.

Considering the non-existent hype around it, maybe they will actually be interested to help you out!

Comment

Working...
          X