Linux 5.15 Is This Year's LTS Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    If you want the newer kernel then install the newer kernel. You can do this on any distro.
    Dude, i am really tired of know-it-alls who reek of pseudo-elitism telling me i can install the newest kernel myself. Thank you captain obvious. I didn't know in my 22+ years of Linux professional experience that i could install a kernel myself, i just had to read it by you because you are an 1337 h4xx0r. You people all are missing the point here. Ubuntu LTS is an important milestone and what they support by default can influence what commercial software may target as the lowest common denominator in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      Hmmm. Arch Linux still hasn't upgraded to 5.15 so I haven't tested it. 5.14 is horribly broken so I'm running the 5.10 LTS instead. If 5.15 is as broken as 5.14 this is really bad news. I was hoping to get an actual stable LTS kernel release. All I can do is cross fingers that 5.15 will work when it finally hits the releases.
      Arch usually update when the .1 update is out, linux-mainline from aur is currently 5.15.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
        Hmmm. Arch Linux still hasn't upgraded to 5.15 so I haven't tested it. 5.14 is horribly broken so I'm running the 5.10 LTS instead. If 5.15 is as broken as 5.14 this is really bad news. I was hoping to get an actual stable LTS kernel release. All I can do is cross fingers that 5.15 will work when it finally hits the releases.
        What issues are you having? 5.14 on Arch is rock solid for me. Even though I'm using proprietary nvidia graphics, which usually makes things less stable.

And it goes without saying that if there are specific bugs that you can reproduce you should also report them so that they can get fixed.

Comment

Where are the docs on on the new NTFS implementation? Does it include any way to check NTFS partition integrity and fix errors like `ntfsfix`? How about defragmentation?

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
            Where are the docs on on the new NTFS implementation? Does it include any way to check NTFS partition integrity and fix errors like `ntfsfix`? How about defragmentation?
            The documentation is here https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/late...ems/ntfs3.html

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Dude, i am really tired of know-it-alls who reek of pseudo-elitism telling me i can install the newest kernel myself. Thank you captain obvious. I didn't know in my 22+ years of Linux professional experience that i could install a kernel myself, i just had to read it by you because you are an 1337 h4xx0r. You people all are missing the point here. Ubuntu LTS is an important milestone and what they support by default can influence what commercial software may target as the lowest common denominator in the near future.
              I've literally had people on here try to tell me that using any kernel other than the bog standard one that comes with your distro of choice was dangerous and that new kernels are "full of regressions".

Comment

Would be nice if Google would switch to 5. 15 for their next Android release. A lot of Hardware drivers have been mainlined and the diff between android kernel and mainline is shrinking constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                  Would be nice if Google would switch to 5. 15 for their next Android release. A lot of Hardware drivers have been mainlined and the diff between android kernel and mainline is shrinking constantly.
                  I think they will.

Comment

Working...
                  X