No announcement yet.

CUPS 2.4 Coming Next Month, CUPS 2.5 + CUPS 3.0 Already In Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While it is good news to hear CUPS is being enhanced with new releases, I haven't even hooked up my last printer to my new Linux box. This probably explains the lack of excitement with respect to CUPS. Printing is, at this point, a specialized feature that isn't often used in the modern world.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
      This is quite exciting.
      Is it though? I thought Phoronixers were only interested in PAPPL since CUPS is now basically developed by “evil” Apple?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Printing is, at this point, a specialized feature that isn't often used in the modern world.
        Depends on where you live, I guess. Here in the Netherlands, I still have to print stuff every now and then, esp. forms for my municipality which has barely digitalized anything. But also some other stuff every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

Oh come on, just make cups configureable so you can select what you want to build
          Why the hell will anybody want that.

Debian splitting CUPS up into so many individual pieces and packages is the sole reason my printer driver which worked in Debian 10 completely broke in 11. Nobody has any goddamned idea which fucking CUPS subpackage is required just to get it working with the proprietary printer driver. And now you want CUPS to have that kind of useless granularity at the build level where it serves no bloody purpose other than to piss users off?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Is it though? I thought Phoronixers were only interested in PAPPL since CUPS is now basically developed by “evil” Apple?
            If you watch the replay of the Linux Plumber's Conference session you'll discover that OpenPrinting has taken over development of CUPS.

Comment

Working...
            X